External HD Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recently, My Second LaCie External HD quit. I've tried to get it fixed, but it seems that it cant be. After two LaCie Drives, I've had enough. I'm looking at the Western Digital MyBook Studio II, But it seems that everybody hates it. Any Advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    There aren't all that many good options when it comes to external devices.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

There aren't all that many good options when it comes to external devices.

Wrong! There are many options, probably the worst of which are ready made externals, with HD and case, plus some some software that might be suspect, or that you don't want to buy because you already own it.

Check out Icy Dock external enclosures, they are really nice. They accept 3.5" SATA or SATA II drives, mounted on their sled, which makes the drives hot swappable. Your external storage limits using Icy Dock enclosures is only limited by the number of hard drives you have, and to make them hot swappable the number of sleds you have.

I use Icy Dock enclosures to make bootable clones of my internal HD, and use other drives for storage, all with one enclosure.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Good catch. Very expensive, but they look like a very good job of cooling the drive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Good catch. Very expensive, but they look like a very good job of cooling the drive.

They don't use a fan, but stay cool anyway, plus they are dead silent.