How do you easily arrange apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I want to use a separate page for groups of apps. The dragging approach takes forever to re-arrange things. Is there an easier way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Dragging is the only method.

Solution? Don't give into the OCD urge to constantly rearrange apps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    There needs to be an option to sort apps by name or by "most used".
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

There needs to be an option to sort apps by name or by "most used".

I'll have to disagree about the "by most used".

That would be one of the most common interface design pitfalls. Companies occasionally try it, forgetting that it has been tried many times before and is known to be detrimental to pretty much everyone's usage. Constantly rearranging spacial organization is of little use, if any. This is especially true for situations such as the iphone where the items being sorted are not too great in number.

Sorting by name would be somewhat reasonable. However, alphabetically sorted grids are cumbersome. Alphabetical sorting works best with a linear list. The two dimensions of organization on each iPhone app screen does not map well to a 1 dimensional sort. This is further compounded by the app organization actually being three dimensional once you figure in multiple app screens.

In other words, automatic sorting works best with a list view instead of an icon view. While most OSs offer auto-name-sorted grid/icon views, these are somewhat of a concession to deeply engrained habits that are inefficient but would be seen as pretentious to eliminate.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I use a favourites stack in the dock like this:

Apple Quick Tips - Short Stacks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I use a favourites stack in the dock...

um... this is in the IPHONE forum.