Apple passes Acer to become third largest U.S. PC vendor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macs garnered an 8.5 percent share of the U.S. PC market during the second quarter of the year, pushing Apple past Acer in the national rankings and into third place overall, according to preliminary data released Wednesday by market research firm Gartner.

Gartner's estimates

The Cupertino-based company saw Mac sales rise more than 38 percent to nearly 1.4 million units in the US during the three-month period ending June, making it the country's third largest PC manufacturer behind Dell and HP, who saw sales rise 11.9 percent and 5.6 percent to 5.25 million and 4.167 million units, respectively.

Overall, Apple's share of the US PC market was up more than 2 percent compared to the same period last year. Total US PC shipments reached 16.5 million units in the second quarter of 2008, a 4.2 percent increase from the same period last year.

"Dell continued to be the market leader with PC shipments accounting for 31.9 percent of the U.S. market in the second quarter of 2008," said Mika Kitagawa, principal analyst for Gartner's Client Computing Markets group. "Apple's PC shipments grew 38.1 percent in the quarter. The home PC segment continued to be the strongest driver for Apple, as well as sales into the education segment."

Apple edged out Acer, who saw sales decline more than 20 percent, by a little over 65,000 units. Meanwhile, Toshiba saw its own PC sales rise just 2.8 percent to 907,000 units, good enough for a 5.5 percent share and fifth place.

Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q08 (Thousands of Units) | Source: Gartner

Overall, global PC shipments reached 71.9 million units in the second quarter of 2008, a 16 percent increase year-over-year. Apple, however, did not place within the top five manufacturers worldwide, meaning its global share of the market remains behind the 4.4 percent achieved by fifth place holder Toshiba, which sold a total of 3.14 million units in the second quarter.

"Mobile PCs continued to lead unit growth across all regions as the average selling price (ASP) of mobile PCs declined sharply relative to desk-based PC ASPs," Kitagawa said. "Economic uncertainties have hit PC revenues, resulting in steep ASP declines, especially in markets such as the United States and the Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) region."

Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q08 (Thousands of Units) | Source: Gartner

Holding on to its No.1 worldwide ranking was HP, which shipped just over 13 million systems, representing 17.1 percent growth and a 18.1 percent share. Dell followed with sales of more than 11.2 million systems for a 15.6 percent global share, representing 21.9 percent yearly growth. Acer (9.4 percent share), Lenovo (7.8 percent share), and Toshiba (4.4 percent share) rounded out the top five.

IDC's estimates

Slightly more cautious than its research rival, IDC said Wednesday in its own second-quarter study that Apple has finally broken through a symbolic barrier and will likely wind up tied for the third spot among U.S. computer vendors.

The Mac maker is said in the IDC prediction to have shipped just short of 1.33 million computers between April and June, which would give it the same 7.8 percent estimated American market share as Taiwan-based Acer.

Apple's surge signals a year-over-year growth in sheer units of about 31.7 percent, continuing a relatively rapid sales acceleration that began roughly during the company's switch to Intel processors.

Acer technically grew faster at 49.9 percent but was primarily helped by its merger with Gateway in the past year; if the combined share of the two is measured from last year, the unified entity actually shrunk by 28.1 percent, according to IDC.

Apple remains unlikely to challenge the top two vendors in the country, Dell and Hewlett-Packard, any time soon, as the two alone account for more than half of all US sales in the most recent results at 32 percent and 25.1 percent of the market respectively. The two are nonetheless growing relatively slowly at 12.1 percent year over year for Dell and just 5.9 percent for HP.

Toshiba lost share over the period, dipping from 5.4 percent to 5.2 percent.

Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q08 (Thousands of Units) | Source: IDC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Nice. Unit sales are nice and all, but I'd like to see how Apple compares to HP and Dell on the same level. Id est, C2D-level processors of ≥$1000 machines. That is where the real cheese is located.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Neat. Remember when Apple's 4% share was considered a huge deal not so long ago?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Neat. Remember when Apple's 4% share was considered a huge deal not so long ago?

Oh yeah! Need to dig up some of those old AI articles.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Does Acer still assemble their "New" computers from used or returned parts and claim that such practice is the industry standard?
  • Reply 5 of 54
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Are Apple getting into the computer game now? Wow, smart move, never saw that coming!

Okay, maybe that was just tired and predictable and really nice to read something that has nothing to do with that bloody iPhone.

Where is my new Mac Mini Mr Jobs? I cannot hold out much longer, my MBP is getting bored of being my substitute media centre. Bring out some new stuff please or I am buying a PS3. Keep this great momentum going.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Does Acer still assemble their "New" computers from used or returned parts and claim that such practice is the industry standard?

They don't do that anymore than any other company. I remember Apple being in the same boat about that a few years ago.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good stuff, Apple now need more stores to get their world growth up. Particularly in Europe. Aside from the UK, Apple stores are few and far between over here. Excluding the UK in Europe we're talking just one store in Rome, that's berry bad Applo. Berry berry bad
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good stuff, Apple now need more stores to get their world growth up. Particularly in Europe. Aside from the UK, Apple stores are few and far between over here.

They do seem to be getting a bit saturated here in the US between the proper Apple Stores and teh Best Buy kiosks. It's my opinion that the Apple Stores did more for Mac growth than the iPod "halo effect." There are 9 more coming to Europe, and two are in new countries.
    PS: There is one is one in Scotland. That is like the same as Ireland, right?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    one of the problem in world wide growth for apple is fixed price ( 1$= x foreign currency) not many people can afford when $1000 converts into some big sum ...

i bet in the world wide Apple numbers there could be lots of mac minis and low end iMacs and Mac Books.

i do not know how HP, Dell, Acer and other big companies price their producs in different regions.

but one thing apple products are identical in all the regions (the specs are same)
  • Reply 10 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I thought it was some other company that was smacked for doing that, maybe Packard Bell.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They do seem to be getting a bit saturated here in the US between the proper Apple Stores and teh Best Buy kiosks. It's my opinion that the Apple Stores did more for Mac growth than the iPod "halo effect." There are 9 more coming to Europe, and two are in new countries.
    PS: There is one is one in Scotland. That is like the same as Ireland, right?

Scotland is in the UK, Ireland isn't. I know you were joking but I did say outside the UK, twice.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

one of the problem in world wide growth for apple is fixed price ( 1$= x foreign currency) not many people can afford when $1000 converts into some big sum...

Good one. If $ = x we'd be laughing over here cause the €, which most of Europe uses, is crushing it right now. Sadly Apple just rips us off here, although not half as bad as they used to.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Scotland is in the UK, Ireland isn't.

You're both a bunch of skirt wearing, Goidelic speaking Celts.

(You know I'm kidding, right?)
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

You're both a bunch of skirt wearing, Goidelic speaking Celts.

(You know I'm kidding, right?)

Irish don't wear kilts.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Irish don't wear kilts.

Irish Army Pipe Band
  • Reply 16 of 54
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

? Irish Army Pipe Band

LOL

and I'm allowed to laugh, I'm like 90% Scotch-Irish
  • Reply 17 of 54
    posnerposner Posts: 13member
    ...for Apple to continue to build market share for at least the next 2-3 years. Over that time frame (and perhaps for well beyond that), there is nothing new and compelling on the Windows side. Meanwhile, Apple will continue to build mindshare (iPod, iPhone) and refine OS X. If they can get a substantial jump on optimizing for multiple cores in Snow Leopard, they could lock in their current advantages over Windows for a solid 5yrs or beyond. If that happens, it seems likely that we'll see a steady rise toward 20+% market share over that (5yr) period. Frankly I don't care if they ever get much beyond that level. At 20% share the anxieties of the late 90's would be a distant nightmare and we could bask in the full array of new Mac software options. Very cool.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    I guess with so many new iPhone users, they will be doing even better in the future.

Good for Apple and good for computer users.

BTW,

"Apple's share of the US PC market was up more than 2 percent compared to the same period last year."

is different than

"Apple's share of the US PC market was up more than 2 percent points compared to the same period last year."
  • Reply 19 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

LOL

and I'm allowed to laugh, I'm like 90% Scotch-Irish

Me too. And, I am neither Scottish nor Irish! Touche.

• Reply 20 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

is different than

"Apple's share of the US PC market was up more than 2 percent points compared to the same period last year."

Not to be grammar poilice or anything (English is not my first language), but shouldn't it be:

"from" and "percentage"?