New Mac Pro's on the horizon ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the light of having to upgrade my old G5 I haven't really seen any threads regarding speculations on a new Mac Pro on the the way (everything seems iPhones and MBP)...Does anyone have any advice on this or some crazy rumor that there might be one soon ? Thanks and looking forward to hear from you guys.

L

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ferazelferazel Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LasseHoile View Post

In the light of having to upgrade my old G5 I haven't really seen any threads regarding speculations on a new Mac Pro on the the way (everything seems iPhones and MBP)...Does anyone have any advice on this or some crazy rumor that there might be one soon ? Thanks and looking forward to hear from you guys.

L

I know, I'm disappointed with the lack of Mac Pro rumors as well.

I think the earliest that we would see an upgrade is in October when the Nehalem processors are officially released for servers. Since the Mac Pro uses server processors already I don't see why the next one will not. The trick will be that the Nehalem architecture is brand new and thus will require a different socket and mainboard architecture which could slow down adoption. However, because Apple is such a vertical company they may be able to pull it off sooner than anyone due to their close relationship with Intel.

Most people on this board though are pegging the Mac Pro update for MWSF (Jan 2009) with potentially a set of higher PPI (pixel-per-inch) monitors.

Of course this is Apple we're talking about... so we really don't have a clue.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post

I know, I'm disappointed with the lack of Mac Pro rumors as well.

I think the earliest that we would see an upgrade is in October when the Nehalem processors are officially released for servers. Since the Mac Pro uses server processors already I don't see why the next one will not. The trick will be that the Nehalem architecture is brand new and thus will require a different socket and mainboard architecture which could slow down adoption. However, because Apple is such a vertical company they may be able to pull it off sooner than anyone due to their close relationship with Intel.

Most people on this board though are pegging the Mac Pro update for MWSF (Jan 2009) with potentially a set of higher PPI (pixel-per-inch) monitors.

Of course this is Apple we're talking about... so we really don't have a clue.

With Nehalem you will need 6 dimms to get the max ram bandwith as each cpu can use 3 channels of ram each.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LasseHoile View Post

L

Actually my thinking is later in the winter or possibly spring of 2009. The reality is that the Mac Pro, as currently configured, is nothing to laugh at. It is very much a high performance state of the art machine.

It is however a lower volume unit for Apple thus harder to justify frequent updates. For this reason Apple is likely to wait unit there is a compelling chip set update available to them. Nehalem has been mentioned and one can look at Intels projected release dates for info on that. I just don't see Apple jumping on Nehalem right out of the box, instead they will likely use MWSF to highlight new consumer Macs.

Of course if all the consumer Macs are updated before MWSF.......

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well, I'm grateful to the iPhone and iPod for the rebound in Mac sales.

But it certainly correlates with the move to Intel processors as well.

However, it's about time Apple used that reflected glory to bring out a desktop that reflects the needs of mere mortals.

The iMac. Great machine. For aunty gladice and co. Fine.

But the for gamer, for many male PC buyers that I know of, a consumer tower for £1k that can be fairly upgradeable...it's what I and many others want. With sales approaching 3 million a quarter I feel we're at the stage where another desktop can be supported. I'm still mystified how the Conroe chip ie dirty cheap quad chip hasn't been utilised...

As for the Mac Pro.

If Apple are serious about expanding their Pro sales then they'll jump on the Nehalem as soon as everyone else. AND we're way being in GPUs again. It took a shameful amount of lag to get to even the 8800 series and all we got was the mid range GT. Nice card. But where now is the 4850? 70? The NV 280? Geeze. We're on INtel chipsets now. Surely this should be easy to spit out new GPUs. Asus can manage it. Gigabyte can do it. But the world class iPhone maker can't?

Yeesh.

Give me a break.

Awaiting Nehalem with a decent high end gpu.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    IN short, I'm hoping for a 2009 at the latest, update...

Nov' and a I'll squeal like a girl.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks people, feedback much appreciated :-)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It might come sooner. There is a rumor that Intel is moving up the launch of its first Nehalem processors to September-October. However, the rumor is about desktop chips, not the DP Xeon models that a Mac Pro would use. No word on those.