App Store downloads led by free apps; one quarter are games

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delany View Post

meigross,

Even so, one in ten is an enormous uptake rate. Most iPhone users are just users - they don't upgrade in the first weekend, and know nothing about Super Monkey Ball - I don't know anyone whose upgraded yet (2 parents and about 5 or 6 friends) let alone bought Monkey Ball. That's hardly representative but a 1 in 10 uptake in the first w/e would be good stats for the 2.0 upgrade let alone some game.

delany

It is a good uptake. But look at Apple's stat. I believe that they said in the first three days, 10 million apps were downloaded. How many more since then?

That makes this believable, if we use the charts provided here.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mh71 View Post

This is I think the Achilles heel of the study. I don't think you have to download the apps to actually write a review.

I picked up on a Google Reader app from John Gruber or TUAW, and went to check it out. The rating was pretty poor, like around 2. As I skimmed through the reviews, it looked like a third of them were giving the app a 1 simply because it costs $9.99. That was the only thing they mentioned in their review. Things like "$10 -- FAIL". So, I pretty sure they didn't buy the program, but are "driving revenues" for purposes of this study.

That does seem to be a problem.

One jerk didn't like some books, and stories, that were being offered, and gave each one star, saying that they should have all been included at the one price. I've seen a couple of others.

A few have given five stars saying that they don't have the phone yet, but the apps look great, and others have given one star for the opposite reason.

Apple should work it so that unless you've actually downloaded the software, whatever it is, you can't write a review.

It's not fair to write something without using it, though downloading it isn't actually proving its use. But, it's better than nothing.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple should work it so that unless you've actually downloaded the software, whatever it is, you can't write a review.

It's not fair to write something without using it, though downloading it isn't actually proving its use. But, it's better than nothing.

I see where your going with this and sort of agree, but. You need to be able to get input from people who didn't buy something because it was missing a certain feature. Like an ebook reader that can't read PDFs. Or another ebook reader that will only read only one particular file format. Both are important reasons that impact your buying decision. -- And what about the "Pst, over there is another product that I think is better".
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I see where your going with this and sort of agree, but. You need to be able to get input from people who didn't buy something because it was missing a certain feature. Like an ebook reader that can't read PDFs. Or another ebook reader that will only read only one particular file format. Both are important reasons that impact your buying decision. -- And what about the "Pst, over there is another product that I think is better".

But those aren't reviews, and can't be. Just because some feature isn't there, isn't a good reason to knock software down, without taking the entire thing into account. That requires that it be used.

Perhaps Apple should break it into two parts, reviews, and feature requests.

Would that do it?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

But those aren't reviews, and can't be. Just because some feature isn't there, isn't a good reason to knock software down, without taking the entire thing into account. That requires that it be used.

Perhaps Apple should break it into two parts, reviews, and feature requests.

Would that do it?

No, they are reviews. Granted not full reviews but reviews none the less. They helped me in my buying decision. I got neither.

I've been wanting an ebook reader and was thrilled to see these two apps. But neither app had the file limitations listed in their descriptions and it wasn't until I read about the inability to display PDFs that I even though of this as a potential problem. So these review from other non-purchasers were helpful. -- I did see those other reviews that you referred to. Yes, they were a waste of bandwidth and not helpful.

(To be fair the file compatibilities were listed on both of their web sites.)
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

No, they are reviews. Granted not full reviews but reviews none the less. They helped me in my buying decision. I got neither.

I've been wanting an ebook reader and was thrilled to see these two apps. But neither app had the file limitations listed in their descriptions and it wasn't until I read about the inability to display PDFs that I even though of this as a potential problem. So these review from other non-purchasers were helpful. -- I did see those other reviews that you referred to. Yes, they were a waste of bandwidth and not helpful.

(To be fair the file compatibilities were listed on both of their web sites.)

No matter how many times you say it, they aren't reviews. A review requires one to actually USE the product.

Anyone could just as easily have gone to the developers site, most have them at the push of the mouse button, and seen for themselves, as they obviously did. Listing a couple of features that aren't there can't be construed as a review..
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

No matter how many times you say it, they aren't reviews. A review requires one to actually USE the product.

Anyone could just as easily have gone to the developers site, most have them at the push of the mouse button, and seen for themselves, as they obviously did. Listing a couple of features that aren't there can't be construed as a review..

Than we disagree on what a product review is. Anything that provides me with factual information to make a buying decision on is a review. Even those very loud people on this site who constantly scream that the MBA is worthless because it does not have an optical drive are giving reviews. I may disagree with them on the need for the drive and wish that they would calm down with their rants but they are giving accurate reviews of the MBA. You do not need to purchase something to notice and announce that a major feature is missing. And that is a review. A negative review but a review none the less. And as I said these reviews/comments did remind me that I was overlooking a very major factor in ebook readers, what files formats did they read.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Than we disagree on what a product review is. Anything that provides me with factual information to make a buying decision on is a review. Even those very loud people on this site who constantly scream that the MBA is worthless because it does not have an optical drive are giving reviews. I may disagree with them on the need for the drive and wish that they would calm down with their rants but they are giving accurate reviews of the MBA. You do not need to purchase something to notice and announce that a major feature is missing. And that is a review. A negative review but a review none the less. And as I said these reviews/comments did remind me that I was overlooking a very major factor in ebook readers, what files formats did they read.

That's not a review. Your concept of what a review is, is contrary to accepted practice.

What you are talking about is a preview, or possibly an overview, or a "first look", or a listing of the feature set, with comments. There are numerous terms that would fit.

But as is commonly understood, an actual "review" is something that is done with the product in hand, and is commentary on its use.

You are trying to force a common use for a word into a different category. You can really confuse people to say you've "reviewed" something, when you've done no such thing, and have only read the specs.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Anybody sent in their $99 and got nothing for it? I got a serial # but it just takes me to the same page you get without it (the iPhone Developer Program page).