why no MMS?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've probably missed it, but whenever I see a review of the iphone 3G, I see complaints about lack of MMS, but I don't seem to find any reasoning behind its omission. Can someone tell me why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorktron View Post

I've probably missed it, but whenever I see a review of the iphone 3G, I see complaints about lack of MMS, but I don't seem to find any reasoning behind its omission. Can someone tell me why?

I don't think Apple has ever commented on why. However, since the iPhone doesn't do video recording it may not be very useful to include MMS. Plus, the iPhone covets fast 3G and WiFi so why not email any pictures you take (or videos when more 3rd party apps develop that capability).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    because mms is a rip-off?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorktron View Post

It's quite simple.. Apple has left MMS off the feature list so people can post thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after on a daily basis on EVERY forum even remotely related to Apple/Mac/iPhone discussions asking why Apple doesn't offer it... Many of whom knowing full well that nobody here could ever give an accurate answer to the question.

BTW same goes for the missing cut and paste feature....

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

It's quite simple.. Apple has left MMS off the feature list so people can post thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after on a daily basis on EVERY forum even remotely related to Apple/Mac/iPhone discussions asking why Apple doesn't offer it... Many of whom knowing full well that nobody here could ever give an accurate answer to the question.

BTW same goes for the missing cut and paste feature....

Dave

The cut and past issue is easy and has been obvious since the SDK beta came out. Very rigidly defined app sandboxes and no programmer accessible APIs to get around the fact that data from app A cannot exist in the same sandbox as data from app B. Not even the Apple apps have that ability so it's not a case of hidden but existing functionality.

Apple has to do a substantial extension to the basic security framework to allow cut-paste APIs without undoing a large part of the security gained from sandboxing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    well its too late now, MMS would cost you an arm and a leg as its not covered by any iphone contracts i've seen.

Plus who actually uses it?! I never have.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I don't think Apple has ever commented on why. However, since the iPhone doesn't do video recording it may not be very useful to include MMS. Plus, the iPhone covets fast 3G and WiFi so why not email any pictures you take (or videos when more 3rd party apps develop that capability).

The limit for an MMS is like 300kb and most phones over here have on average a 3.2 mp cam and QVGA 15fps video recording so it wouldnt make any sense.

Still though its not like I use it often. Infact I have only used it once or twice ever.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    The main reason I've heard mentioned is that AT & T does not allow it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Who cares, use email and then its free and you can send to a phone or a computer, everyone wins. MMS is a gimmicky rip off (not that SMS isn't a rip off, but at least it is more useful).