The Watchmen Teaser Trailer has surfaced...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

...and it looks very good.

I read the series when it first came out when I was a comic geek and it raised the bar of sequential storytelling to a whole new level. Later on when I read that Terry Gilliam had the rights to the movie I was really excited, then disappointed when it all fell through.

When it was picked up by Zack (300) Snyder I was a little worried. But I have been checking out the Watchmen web site and have been amazed at the hard work and creativity involved in production. The attention to detail is very faithful to the original. They have David Gibbons, the artist from the series as a visual consultant which is another plus.

Where's Alan Moore the creator? He wants no part of it. I understand his reasons, but comics owe a lot to cinema and the two have always seemed to have had a relationship (good or bad) over the years. Now today with computer graphics and 3D animation techniques reaching incredible levels, it just seems right that a cinematic version should be attempted.

The Watchmen teaser trailer.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The trailer was just a series of snapshots of the characters. Looks good, and by that I mean it doesn't look silly like it could have. But it doesn't really matter, seeing how the story is 90% of the content in Watchmen.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Correct. Watchmen wasn't just a novel, it was a critical novel commenting on its predecessors, which means a movie made in 2008 should also be critical of its predecessors. While it's set in the 80s, it will still evoke comparison to contemporary superhero movies. Nite Owl's costume, for example, is not far removed from nipples on the Batsuit.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch...kies-9577.html

After reading that, and verifying from the HD trailer that yes indeed the assassin holds a *cell phone*, I don't see how they could possibly get the movie through the censorsraters intact. Nuts.

300 had violence, but it was stylized violence, and presented as actions in war against middle eastern enemy, which seems to be license to do anything these days.

Watchmen has rape, cold blooded murder, and torture to extract information from bystanders - and all of that is done by "heroes" central to the story.

I'm not a purist, I don't think it will blow apart the movie if one specific plot element isn't there, but half of the cast depends on these events to establish who and what they are.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch...kies-9577.html

After reading that, and verifying from the HD trailer that yes indeed the assassin holds a *cell phone*, I don't see how they could possibly get the movie through the censorsraters intact. Nuts.

300 had violence, but it was stylized violence, and presented as actions in war against middle eastern enemy, which seems to be license to do anything these days.

Watchmen has rape, cold blooded murder, and torture to extract information from bystanders - and all of that is done by "heroes" central to the story.

I'm not a purist, I don't think it will blow apart the movie if one specific plot element isn't there, but half of the cast depends on these events to establish who and what they are.

You haven't seen The Dark Knight yet have you...

But I agree, the MPAA should be abolished (or at least an overhaul). It is just a hindrance to the audience and creators alike.

This Film is Not Yet Rated...