Still a good time to buy MacBook Air?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new portable/ultraportable. My main desktop is a PC and my current laptop is the first generation 15" macbook pro running 10.4.

My current macbook pro is fine for what it is but it's a little bit of a pain to carry around (i have a small "strap over the shoulder" briefcase). The speed isn't fast, but it's able to play iTunes and let me browse the web/MS Office without slowdown. Other than that, being able to use my blackberry for bluetooth internet is all I really need.

Should I go ahead with the MBA now, or wait til Sept/Oct for the new revisions? I would be getting the 1.8 with the 64GB SSD

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm no expert, but I looked at the Air quite carefully before deciding not to buy it.

There were two reasons that put me off:
    1. The 64 Gb SSD simply isn't enough memory, especially if you have a large iTunes library or like to store hi res images on your machine

2. Video playbook isn't great

I expect both of these deficiencies to be rectified by the first revision which will add Centrino 2 chips with built in graphics processors. Also we can expect a 128 GB SSD drive or even a 256 Gb drive.

Personally, i don't think it is worth buying the Air until you can get it with 256 Gb hard drive. That is unlikely to happen before January. If you can live with the above limitations, then you should buy one now.

Other people have complained about the lack of an inbuilt DVD-drive. I think the plug-in drive is fine. The omission of an Ethernet and Firewire ports has really annoyed others, but not me. i'd like an extra USB port though.

We're due for a macBook pro and macBook upgrade by the end of the September, so i doubt that we'll see a new Air before then. But what the heck do i know.

That's my 2¢ worth.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by young24601 View Post

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new portable/ultraportable. My main desktop is a PC and my current laptop is the first generation 15" macbook pro running 10.4.

My current macbook pro is fine for what it is but it's a little bit of a pain to carry around (i have a small "strap over the shoulder" briefcase). The speed isn't fast, but it's able to play iTunes and let me browse the web/MS Office without slowdown. Other than that, being able to use my blackberry for bluetooth internet is all I really need.

Should I go ahead with the MBA now, or wait til Sept/Oct for the new revisions? I would be getting the 1.8 with the 64GB SSD

Thanks for any advice!

The problem is simple storage or the lack of. You would likely end up with less media storage than I have on my new 3G iPhone. All it takes is a few apps and some data and you are done. Completely forget the idea if you are interested in any sort of video.

The Air has all sorts of other limitations but they are of no concern here. Note that I just got a MBP with 200GB and already have concerns.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for any advice!

If 1.8GHz and 64GB drive are enough for your needs, and you don't need it today or in the few weeks to come, just wait to see if it will really be updated Sept/Oct. No one knows for sure, but sometimes, leaks happen...

It's clear that the MB Air COULD be updated Sept/Oct since new Intel cpus and chipsets fitting the MBA will be available around that time. If Apple chooses to use the "standard" parts (not customized ones), it will allow for very small speedbumps but in many areas:

- slightly faster clock 1.80 -? 1.86GHz

- faster FSB 800 -? 1066MHz

- faster RAM DDR2/667 -? DDR2/800 to DDR3/1066 (depending on what Apple chooses to use)

- faster integrated graphics 3100 -? 4500

- lower power requirements 20W -? 17W

- plus, more overall efficient processors and chipsets (snappier, better battery life)

- it is also quite possible that Apple could also use faster SSD drives and maybe offer a 128GB one too.

Again, nobody knows for sure if the MBA will be updated to Montevina nor when Apple will release them.

Don't let the naysayers get to you, if you like the MBA as it is, go for it!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Don't let the naysayers get to you, if you like the MBA as it is, go for it!

There is a huge difference between liking a machine and having that machine be able to do what you need to get done. In the case of AIR and iTunes one really has to think hard about AIR's limited storage. It is not naysaying but rather taking a rational approach to spending one's cash.

Look at it this way I really do like AIR as a concept and am even willing to admit that it meets the needs of many users. That does not however mean that this first rev is the last word in portable computer design. The problem is that AIR runs into the hardware limits of the components it is built out of. Thus if you at interested in software that eats up lots of storage AIR isn't for you.

Now that doesn't mean that Apple can't address that in future revisions or updates. Apple even has the reasonable choice of going to a hybrid system. That is soldering in some flash on the memory card and implementing a disk interface to it. That would free up the current storage device for data storage. Even as little as 32 GB would go a long way to helping out whatever disk drive is in the machine.

There is nothing wrong in say that AIR comes up short for many and that Apple has ways to address those issues! The trick for the reader here I'd determinig if the issues apply to him. I think they do bit only he knows how he will use the machine!

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a huge difference between liking a machine and having that machine be able to do what you need to get done...

the OP has already stated that he has choosen the 1.8GHz/64GB model. So clearly, this model fits his needs (young24601 can chime in, if it isn't the case).

If Apple chooses to update the MBA to Montevina, in waiting for it, young24601 would get a computer that is slightly faster, has probably more storage options, etc.

The fact that the MBA doesn't fit your needs/requierements, wiz, is irrelevant. Remember that young24601 already has a desktop computer and uses a MBP, I believe he knows what his needs are, better than you or I. He may not be bothered by the few ports, the few and small storage options or the speed of the cpu... Many MBA have been sold this year, and I don't hear a lot of complaints from actual users. I don't think Apple will specifically address YOUR issues, but I'm sure that they will make the MBA even better after each revision.

The question was not if the MBA fit his needs, but if a new model will come soon and if the updates would be significant enough for him to wait a couple of months. Did you answer this?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for any advice!

I would wait for a while, since the MBA is in the midst of a transition period for cheaper SSDs...I definitely think it's gonna be updated by September, which is not that far in the future...the SAME for redesigned MBPs and MBs, so it's better to be patient.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

the OP has already stated that he has choosen the 1.8GHz/64GB model. So clearly, this model fits his needs (young24601 can chime in, if it isn't the case).

Please reread the original post. Nothing there imdicated that he was set on the machine. Instead it was more of a question about waiting.

I simply pointed out the issues of disk size which are very real if you run iTunes.

Quote:

If Apple chooses to update the MBA to Montevina, in waiting for it, young24601 would get a computer that is slightly faster, has probably more storage options, etc.

In this case the whole point would be to wait for an increase in storage! For his usage it is the only concern.

Quote:

The fact that the MBA doesn't fit your needs/requierements, wiz, is irrelevant. Remember that young24601 already has a desktop computer and uses a MBP, I believe he knows what his needs are, better than you or I. He may not be bothered by the few ports, the few and small storage options or the speed of the cpu... Many MBA have been sold this year, and I don't hear a lot of complaints from actual users. I don't think Apple will specifically address YOUR issues, but I'm sure that they will make the MBA even better after each revision.

The question was not if the MBA fit his needs, but if a new model will come soon and if the updates would be significant enough for him to wait a couple of months. Did you answer this?

I'm not sure where your tone is coming from, do realize that it makes you look rather sad!

I simply highlighted the only rational reason for him to hold off. That issue revolves solely around disk size! All the other coming updates mean nothing in the context of the described usage.

For one thing we know the updates to the processor are coming. When is harder to say! The bigger variable is storage simply due to the massive changes taking place with respect to storage technology. At worst my answer just requires the original purchaser to think a bit about just how suitable 80 GB will be.

For him I offer up that it won't be enough based on my experience. Now if you have any experiences of your own to offer up go a head.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Please reread the original post. Nothing there imdicated that he was set on the machine. Instead it was more of a question about waiting.

I simply pointed out the issues of disk size which are very real if you run iTunes.

Reread it yourself.

"Should I go ahead with the MBA now, or wait til Sept/Oct for the new revisions? I would be getting the 1.8 with the 64GB SSD"

There are no issues "running" iTunes on a 64GB drive, I do it on one right now, and my MB has a 80GB HDD with a 20GB bootcamp partition making it a 54GB drive for Mac OS X, iTunes is running like a charm on it, too.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The Air is a remarkable device. It's particularly impressive when closed. It's just astonishingly thin.

But if part of your heart is evil...then you ought to look at this...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...osx_onto_wind/

C.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Reread it yourself.

"Should I go ahead with the MBA now, or wait til Sept/Oct for the new revisions? I would be getting the 1.8 with the 64GB SSD"

This is exactly why I responded to this thread. 64GB is just to little storage if you get into iTunes. It is pretty simple really just add up the size of the files down loaded.

For example one tv show like Farscape wil run around 450 to 550 MBs, buy a seasons worth and you are out off 10 to 15 GB worth of disk space. Add in a reasonable music collection and a movie or two and your disk ends stuffed.

Quote:

There are no issues "running" iTunes on a 64GB drive, I do it on one right now, and my MB has a 80GB HDD with a 20GB bootcamp partition making it a 54GB drive for Mac OS X, iTunes is running like a charm on it, too.

The issue is plain simple; it is the lack of storage space that is the issue!

At this point I really don't care how you define working like a charm, you are missing the whole point of my response to this thread. That is that he would be far better of waiting for a better storage configuration than for anything else.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Hi guys,

didn't mean to cause any trouble! I should have been more clear in my post.

I'm not sure if 64GB will be enough especially after formatting, but I think I can get it to work. My macbook pro has 80GB? capacity and it has only ~20GB remaining. Yes I use iTunes, but all I have is music. That said, my library is about 20GB (lots of lectures and long classical pieces, which I wouldn't necessarily add all at once to the Air).

The main motivation for this machine is convenience. Easy to carry around, watch the occasional movie using mplayer/vlc, listen to music on itunes while surfing/doing email.

My main hesitation right now is that a 13" macbook might also do the job. I was at the apple store and noticed that it was pretty small also (though i was surprised that it weighed so much more, almost as much as the 15")

I would be willing to wait 2-5 months if they would increase the HD and solve some of the heating issues i've read about (core overheating?). I guess if i wanted to go with the 13" macbook i should definitely wait. Thanks, I'll have some thinking to do!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Hi guys,

didn't mean to cause any trouble! I should have been more clear in my post.

No Trouble at all. e just have had a communications failure or two.

Quote:

I'm not sure if 64GB will be enough especially after formatting, but I think I can get it to work. My macbook pro has 80GB? capacity and it has only ~20GB remaining. Yes I use iTunes, but all I have is music. That said, my library is about 20GB (lots of lectures and long classical pieces, which I wouldn't necessarily add all at once to the Air).

Doesn't the above pretty much answer your question about storage space? Also realize that you don't want to run out of storage space on a disk anyways and should make sure you have at least a couple of GBs of scratch space at all times. I just see a very tight squeeze on 64GBs.

What you can do here though is simply audit your system and see how much "STUFF" you can remove. Further it may pay to know just how larger your current iTunes library is.

Quote:

The main motivation for this machine is convenience. Easy to carry around, watch the occasional movie using mplayer/vlc, listen to music on itunes while surfing/doing email.

That I understand and have to say it would be a very good machine for that if you can keep it focused on just those tasks. Problem is the AIR is a very nice machine to carry around so I expect that you will have a tendency to move more apps and data to it then you might think. The whole frustration with AIR is that it is just slightly ahead of its time. Of course making a future storage upgrade when technology catches up shouldn't be impossible either. The main problem there is the question of how long PATA will be supported in the storage format AIR uses today.

Quote:

My main hesitation right now is that a 13" macbook might also do the job. I was at the apple store and noticed that it was pretty small also (though i was surprised that it weighed so much more, almost as much as the 15")

It may very well work as it is about the same class hardware as AIR. That is integrated GPU though slightly faster. MacBook has better I/O also. The big difference though is more storage at a lower price point.

Quote:

I would be willing to wait 2-5 months if they would increase the HD and solve some of the heating issues i've read about (core overheating?). I guess if i wanted to go with the 13" macbook i should definitely wait. Thanks, I'll have some thinking to do!

My WILD A$$ Guess is that the AIR will be the last model upgraded as the MB and MBP will be updated very soon.

The AIR is a different beast though when it comes to upgrades. There are a couple of issues here. One is the need for a processor from intel that is suitable. Second; Apple would need a source for the storage module before that could be upgraded. Considering the flux in the FLASH market that new drive module may be here faster than expected. What is interesting is that Apple went with Toshiba for some of iPhone's memory but apparently hasn't abandoned Samsung. Wishful thinking here but maybe Apple expects to place a lot of Samsung flash in to portables real soon now.

In any event if you are not pressed for a purchase don't buy now. Wait for the updates which should happen very soon now to either MBP or MB or possibly both. One could hope that at that time Apple would through a bone at the AIR to help it out until the new tech is ready.

Dave