Chinese made computers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
China has been hacking US computers including laptops that US Congressman are carrying around in China. I wonder about the possibility of Chinese computer factories adding Trojan horses or spy electronics in computers sold in the US. What would stop them from being able to access those computers? Any thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't know, they would have to have spies in the upper echelons of companies such as Intel, TI, Samsung, Mistubishi, and a hundred others. The circuitry would have to be really well hidden and masked; no random chips that don't look like they serve any purpose.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I don't know, they would have to have spies in the upper echelons of companies such as Intel, TI, Samsung, Mistubishi, and a hundred others. The circuitry would have to be really well hidden and masked; no random chips that don't look like they serve any purpose.

I meant spy electronics in computers that were made in China - such as Macs. Spy ware would not be noticed either.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I meant spy electronics in computers that were made in China - such as Macs. Spy ware would not be noticed either.

It wouldn't be nearly as easy as fictional TV shows make it sound. Again ... having spies/plants high up in major tech corporations. While the machines (and some parts) are made/assembled in China, the chip designs originate from (Intel, Mitsubishi, etc...) and assembly lines are set up to produce them under the close supervision of those corporations.

Now... pre-loaded SOFTWARE meanies seem much more plausible.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well, How can we know that Apple MS Intel wouldn't put some secret backdoors in their designs for the US Government or merely for ways to acquire business info for themselves?

I'm Chinese and since nearly every piece of IT product was designed or controlled by US companies and manufactured by Chinese factory, I guess we are both screwed, only Chinese are screwed harder.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

China has been hacking US computers including laptops that US Congressman are carrying around in China. I wonder about the possibility of Chinese computer factories adding Trojan horses or spy electronics in computers sold in the US. What would stop them from being able to access those computers? Any thoughts on the subject?

Sounds like something the US government would do.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Sounds like something the US government would do.

How's that tin-foil hat fitting these days ?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

How's that tin-foil hat fitting these days ?

I think it fits Dubya very well.