gNAT not working

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It seems that gNAT does not work the way it should, on my client machines I can't get in some pages (i.e. nasa.gov). Can anyone tell me what is wrong with gNAT?.Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by jjmnb:

[quote]It seems that gNAT does not work the way it should, on my client machines I can't get in some pages (i.e. nasa.gov). Can anyone tell me what is wrong with gNAT?.Thanks.<hr></blockquote>

On a long shot, it could be that the problem is not with gNat proper but the so called mtu-size. You could try to change that via ifconfig. You need to know, however, what your active network is named, en0, en1 or something more exotic. Open a terminal, type ifconfig -a and look for the network interfaces. You should see at least lo0 and en0. If you have en1 (if you got airport) look which is the active one (status: active). If you have a second NIC, you need to know which goes out and which is the LAN-connected. choose the outgouing.

then type sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 1452 (replace en0 with your active ethernet conn) and try to load the offending site again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I just started using BrickHouse to enable sharing and I have the exact same problem (I've tried IPNetShare aka. gNAT also and it does the exact same thing). For example, I can't search at Yahoo and I can't load JournalNow.com on the other client computer. Searching Google works fine though and many other addresses work fine.

I tried your suggestion, Smircle, but it didn't help. It doesn't seem to matter what my mtu value is; the same addresses fail to load.

You sound like you know what you're doing, though. So, do you have any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    it might be the dns (domain name server) addresses on the client machines. Check that they have the same dns entries that the server machine is using. On OSX, sys prefs-&gt;network, in OS9, control panels-&gt;tcp/ip.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>it might be the dns (domain name server) addresses on the client machines.</strong><hr></blockquote>I thought of that already. I have the client (OS9) Mac's DNS set to the DNS from my ISP. Alternatively, I also set up DNS on my primary OSX Mac and used it as the client's DNS. In both cases, the OS9 Mac *still* has problems accessing the same certain web sites.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Have you tried using a web proxy? You can use one that would also filter ads. osXhints had some they recomended.. if I remember correctly.

mika.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jjmnbjjmnb Posts: 11member
    Thank you very much. I have fixed the problem by using sustworks' IPNetTuner to configure MTU and other things. Thanks again!