./configure not working

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I'm trying to install CUPS but when I had to configure (with ./configure) the installation, the shell told me command not found.

Just in case, I'm in the CUPS folder and the folder has a configure.in file

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    You don't have the developer tools installed. Download them off of Apple's web site, install them, try again.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    configure.in isn't configure anyway...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    When it says "command not found" it means that there is a command in the file, in this case "configure" that's not found. Most often it's the shell to run the script with. See if the path is correct.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    vimavima Posts: 7member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>You don't have the developer tools installed. Download them off of Apple's web site, install them, try again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have already Developer tools installed
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>configure.in isn't configure anyway...</strong><hr></blockquote>

ahhh thanks, so what is normally the configure script?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The configure script is called "configure", but if it's not there then you probably need to run autoconf to create it, then run ./configure.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>The configure script is called "configure", but if it's not there then you probably need to run autoconf to create it, then run ./configure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, I ran autoconf but I have this error:

config-scripts/cups-common.m4:65: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling

autoconf: Undefined macros:

***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_CHECK_MEMBER

So, can some of you tell me what cross compiling means?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Have you checked the README, BUILD, INSTALL, etc files that are in there w/ the source code? What do they say?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Have you checked the README, BUILD, INSTALL, etc files that are in there w/ the source code? What do they say?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, in the install file says that I need the bourne shell and I don't have it. I'm using the shell that Mac OS X has by default
  • Reply 10 of 15
    You have the Bourne shell. It's called "sh."
  • Reply 11 of 15
    thanxxx, I've found the solution, (just installing the bourne shell ). However, now the configure script tells me this when I run it:

bash-2.05# ./configure

loading cache ./config.cache

checking for default print user... daemon

checking for default print group... Darwin

checking for mawk... no

checking for gawk... no

checking for nawk... no

checking for awk... awk

checking for gcc... gcc

checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

any idea?

I have the developer tools version 1
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I have no idea what "Developer Tools version 1" means. You should get the latest Developer Tools from April and download that. It includes both gcc 2.95.2 and 3.1 and you can switch between both by using gcc_select...

If you're unwilling to do that or want a quick fix, you can try going into /usr/bin and symlinking cc to gcc.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Hey Eug, how is gcc 3.1? Last I checked Gcc 3 was an evil bitch goddess. Does compile successfully in comparison to GCC 2.9x?

BTW, dude who started this thread, I suggest reinstalling the latest dev tools. You don't seem to have awk/mawk, and c compiler isn't working. That's just wacky.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    There's nothing out of the ordinary with not having gawk or mawk. And I haven't had any troubles with gcc 3.x for the past 4-5 months.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    well, I don't have band enough to download the dev tools . However, I found a package of CUPS in OSXunix.com

thanxxx