Can I print via ethernet?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've just connected up a JetDirect box to my HP4MP via parallel cable.

Now I've got ethernet out of this printer.

Do I use a cross over cable directly into my iMac?

Then what?

How do I get this thing to work with OSX's print center.

The Directory Services pop up window doesn't have any ethernet option. Do I use LPR Printers using IP? Or do I need a hub to use this feature?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mmurraymmurray Posts: 28member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>I've just connected up a JetDirect box to my HP4MP via parallel cable.

Now I've got ethernet out of this printer.

Do I use a cross over cable directly into my iMac?

Then what?

How do I get this thing to work with OSX's print center.

The Directory Services pop up window doesn't have any ethernet option. Do I use LPR Printers using IP? Or do I need a hub to use this feature?

Thanks for any input.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a Laserwriter 4/600 which is connected to an AsanteTalk adapter. I plug my G4 powerbook into the AsanteTalk adpater via a cross-over cable. In System Preferences under Network I have set up a Location called HomePrinter with *only* ethernet active and in there I turn Appletalk on. Then under the PrinteCenter I look for my printer on the Appletalk. To name the printer I had to use Classic and I tool I had lying around (a HP utility I think!)

My setup is a little dodgy because I also have Airport

for my internet. If I have them both active my Mac can't seem to see the printer. So I have to use this special `location' for printing only. This might just be because of the AsanteTalk adapter. Sometimes my mac can't find the printer and use a sophisticated error correcting approach where I pull the powerplug out of the AsanteTalk adapter, wait 30 seconds, and put it back in :-).

Good luck.

Michael
  • Reply 2 of 3
    graphitemangraphiteman Posts: 428member
    mmurray, why not plug the printer into the AirPort base station? It should allow you to print with AirPort active, and even wirelessly!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    if you use the asante box you need to use apple talk as that is the protocol for your printer.

I think you can still use apple talk for the directjet

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Aussie John ]</p>