Transition from 10.1 to 10.2 (Jaguar)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay... when the time comes... I want to make a CLEAN switch to Jaguar...

My options, as I understand them, are to simply install OVER 10.1 and have it rewrite files, etc. But in my anal-retentive way, I feel that this will not remove any "Ghosts in the Machine" that currently exist.

So... option two is to do a reformat and FRESH install.

This is a pain in the ass, because it means I need to reinstall all my applications and such.

Here's the deal... WHAT is the advantage(s) of "copying" the old "user" folder from 10.1...? or should I just start from scratch and re-build all my pref's and everything...? Seems like such a P-I-T-A to go through this, but I want a "clean" system... the things that I want to be able to transfer are all my Internet settings, all my MAILboxes and messages.. y'know... THAT kind of stuff.

What (or how) are you all going to do (it) when you make the jump to 10.2...?

When it comes to this crap, I feel like such a newbie because of all the "permissions" and "hidden files" and all the stuff that could mess me up if I don't do it right- *sigh*

Any help is appreciated.

- Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    All of your settings are kept in your home Library folder. If you back it up and copy it back after reformatting, all your application and system settings should return to what they were before the formatted.

As far as permissions are concerned, if you are ever worried that permissions have somewhere gotten messed up, you can simply run Apple's new Repair Privileges tool (10.2's Disk Utility also has this functionality).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You know, I'm sort of curious about this as well. Whenever a new version of the Mac OS shipped in the days before X, I *always* did a clean install, and moved everything over. Do you think it is safe to let the OS X installer 'upgrade' your 10.1 install to 10.2, or should I keep in my old habit and do a fresh install of 10.2?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm going fresh.

So if we copy our home folder stuff over, will that have any chance of being incompatible with Jaguar?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    The Jaguar installer has an option to make a new system but move your home folders into the new system. You have to copy your old application to the new applications folder, but there is a new system and library folder
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Wait a few days and see if folks are posting on macfixit or macintouch with problems after doing "dirty" installs
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote] The Jaguar installer has an option to make a new system but move your home folders into the new system. You have to copy your old application to the new applications folder, but there is a new system and library folder <hr></blockquote>

can anyone back this up, because that would be great...a clean install that is not really a clean install....would be nice is it works right...g