message notifications

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Having just jumped on the iPhone bandwagon - and an avid Apple fanboy for nearly 20 years now - I have to say there's a fundamental shortcoming that really bothers me. Not cut & paste, not global search (although each are sorely missing). But if I don't happen to hear the sound of an incoming message - voicemail, email or SMS - I have no idea one is waiting unless I press 'HOME' and the 'SLIDE'. Just to check.

I could tell on my old Sidekick II because although the backlight would switch off, the LCD would still be faintly visible.

One easy solution would at least to show any waiting messages on the screensaver as soon as the 'HOME' button is pressed, especially as the screen shuts off again much quicker than after the 'SLIDE' is activated. If it can show me the time and network stats at least it could show me if I have any messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    drevildrevil Posts: 24member
    A small blinking LED light could've fixed this quite easily. I agree with you that there should've been a way to know this. But, overall, I'm beyond ecstatic with the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Email, no, but as far as SMS and phone calls/messages, the notifications are there when you click the home button. You don't have to slide.

I thought there was a setting that turned these notifications on and off, but for the life of me I can't find it now.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Push email issues: Try to turn of WiFi and be on 3G alone this may work. Just for anyone having this issue. Try this. Not sure if the slider issue will be fixed with this though. Apologies if my post is not so relevant.