Is this Apple store policy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This may be hard to believe, but...I needed the AC plug part of the power adapter and went to my local Apple store to see if they had it in stock. The young and eager associate told me that they did, but that I would have to make an appointment to see an associate at the Genius Bar in order to get the part (it being a service item). Unfortunately, the geniuses were booked for the day, so I was encouraged to go on "standby" and hang about the store for thirty minutes to an hour to see if a slot opened so that they could hand me the part. I asked her slowly, to be sure that I understood correctly, if she was saying that a customer walking in the store with a broken part in hand, would have to make an appointment to receive and pay for a replacement part that the store had in stock. She smiled broadly and assured me that I did not misunderstand - all the while acting as though this was way that the retail world worked. I was stunned, and I assured her that the retail world has never worked like that in my nearly five decades of consuming. I left with the part shortly thereafter, but I was dazed and amazed that such a procedure could even be entertained - much less implemented - by a retail outlet.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    If you are replacing a broken part covered by applecare you have to see a genius so that they can varify the applecare status, test the part, and file the nessessary paperwork.



    If the broken power cord was not covered by applecare and therefore not a replacement then you can pick it up off the shelf and have any "blue shirt" ring you up since you are playing full retail price for it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    You can also call AppleCare and have them ship you a replacement cord and mail them back the broken one.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck0753 View Post


    This may be hard to believe, but...I needed the AC plug part of the power adapter and went to my local Apple store to see if they had it in stock. The young and eager associate told me that they did, but that I would have to make an appointment to see an associate at the Genius Bar in order to get the part (it being a service item). Unfortunately, the geniuses were booked for the day, so I was encouraged to go on "standby" and hang about the store for thirty minutes to an hour to see if a slot opened so that they could hand me the part. I asked her slowly, to be sure that I understood correctly, if she was saying that a customer walking in the store with a broken part in hand, would have to make an appointment to receive and pay for a replacement part that the store had in stock. She smiled broadly and assured me that I did not misunderstand - all the while acting as though this was way that the retail world worked. I was stunned, and I assured her that the retail world has never worked like that in my nearly five decades of consuming. I left with the part shortly thereafter, but I was dazed and amazed that such a procedure could even be entertained - much less implemented - by a retail outlet.



    From my dealings with the local Apple Store, she was correct. Sounds like a reasonable policy to me. Did you intend to butt in line ahead of the all the other people who had an appointments?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post


    From my dealings with the local Apple Store, she was correct. Sounds like a reasonable policy to me. Did you intend to butt in line ahead of the all the other people who had an appointments?



    He should be able to buy what he wanted without making an appointment.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,837member
    The issue here is the Apple Store is not like the average Radio Shack where one can waltz in and grab a power adapter off the wall or out of a bin.



    Perhaps for parts known to have a high failure rate, they should rethink their policies.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    He should be able to buy what he wanted without making an appointment.



    I'll ask you the same question. "Should he be allowed to butt in line ahead of other people who are waiting for their turn to be served?" Another question for you. "If the Genius Bar serves a customer with an appointment at 2 p.m., and the 2 p.m. customer is finished at 2:05 p.m., and the next scheduled appointment is at 2:15 p.m., do you think that the Apple employees at the Genius Bar just twiddle their thumbs until 2:15 p.m. and refuse to wait on anyone until 2:15 p.m."?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post


    I'll ask you the same question. "Should he be allowed to butt in line ahead of other people who are waiting for their turn to be served?" Another question for you. "If the Genius Bar serves a customer with an appointment at 2 p.m., and the 2 p.m. customer is finished at 2:05 p.m., and the next scheduled appointment is at 2:15 p.m., do you think that the Apple employees at the Genius Bar just twiddle their thumbs until 2:15 p.m. and refuse to wait on anyone until 2:15 p.m."?



    He didn't even want to talk to a genius... he just wanted to buy a plug. You walk to a "cashier" and ask for a plug... why do you have to make an appointment to tell someone what you want to buy?



    Now... If you need to have something looked at to determine it's status, then sure... you need to be on the appointment list... but I got the impression he just wanted to buy something... but since it was a "part" they wanted him to wait around all day for a "genius". Luckily he was able to explain himself in a manner to get served more appropriately.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    He didn't even want to talk to a genius... he just wanted to buy a plug. You walk to a "cashier" and ask for a plug... why do you have to make an appointment to tell someone what you want to buy?



    Now... If you need to have something looked at to determine it's status, then sure... you need to be on the appointment list... but I got the impression he just wanted to buy something... but since it was a "part" they wanted him to wait around all day for a "genius". Luckily he was able to explain himself in a manner to get served more appropriately.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck0753 View Post


    ............... so I was encouraged to go on "standby" and hang about the store for thirty minutes to an hour to see if a slot opened so that they could hand me the part............



    When I go to the auto parts store, there are certain products that are available for me to pickup and walk to the cashier and pay for. There are certain parts I have no access to and I have to take a number and wait in line to talk to someone to ascertain what part do I need and they go in the back and bring it out. I can't go in the back room and find the part and bring it out to the cashier and pay for it.



    Looking at the part of his statement I snipped out above, all he had to do was be placed on "standby" and when an appointment only took 5 min, rather than 15 min, then he would be called to the Genius Bar. He could have made an appointment over the phone, and perhaps the Internet, and just walked in at the appointed time and be served. It's called "planning ahead".



    When I first got the same answer he did in his original post, I was a little miffed also, but I was placed on standby and in about 5 minutes I was served at the Genius Bar. Now, when I want to talk with someone at the Genius Bar, I just make an appointment over the phone, like I do with my doctors, and I walk in at the appointed time and NEVER have to wait like I do at my various doctor's offices.



    It's just a slightly different, but more efficient system.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post


    I'll ask you the same question. "Should he be allowed to butt in line ahead of other people who are waiting for their turn to be served?" Another question for you. "If the Genius Bar serves a customer with an appointment at 2 p.m., and the 2 p.m. customer is finished at 2:05 p.m., and the next scheduled appointment is at 2:15 p.m., do you think that the Apple employees at the Genius Bar just twiddle their thumbs until 2:15 p.m. and refuse to wait on anyone until 2:15 p.m."?



    It shouldn't take a "genius" to buy a power plug.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Looking at the part of his statement I snipped out above, all he had to do was be placed on "standby" and when an appointment only took 5 min, rather than 15 min, then he would be called to the Genius Bar. He could have made an appointment over the phone, and perhaps the Internet, and just walked in at the appointed time and be served. It's called "planning ahead".





    I did not plan ahead because it never occurred to me that I would need to make an appointment to buy the interchangeable pronged piece that fits into the power adapter. Certainly, I would neither expect nor want to cut in front of people who need to see a genius for assistance, but the piece I needed was hardly technical and should be hanging on the wall for easy access and quick payment (it would be like making an appointment to buy an extension cord). This may be a more efficient system for people have have time to burn in an Apple store, but for most, it is a needless waste of time.
Sign In or Register to comment.