Simultaneous PPPoE & AppleTalk

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Greetings,

I didn't know that one could do this and it frustrated me that I had to choose between the two. Then, I looked at the instructions in the window and it all made sense. Pardon me if you all already knew this...

In the "Network" control panel, choose "Active Network Ports" and then create a new port (call it AppleTalk). You will have to choose between the Modem Port and Built-In-Ethernet... so choose Built-In-Ethernet. Then, choose the newly created "AppleTalk" port and leave everything else alone and activate AppleTalk in your new port.

Click Apply Now and you're done.

The problem for me had been that using the standard "Built-in-Ethernet" port for PPPoE, AppleTalk was not active and the following statement made no sense: "AppleTalk cannot be used with PPPoE. To use AppleTalk, select the Advanced pane and create a new Ethernet configuration." In case no one at Apple had noticed, there is no "Advanced pane" anywhere in the stupid panel.

I hope this helps someone out.

na

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by nagha:

<strong>

In case no one at Apple had noticed, there is no "Advanced pane" anywhere in the stupid panel.

na</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I was looking all over the place for that damn "advanced pane". Finally figured it out myself and now have simultaneous active ports.