Where did Apple stick the blasted Automatic Boot Up??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to have my computer come on and turn off on a schedule. I cannot seem to find this setting anywhere... what's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    It was under Scheduling (or something like that) in OS 9's Energy Saver control panel. I've been waiting for it to come back too.. hmmph.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I found a ghetto program which can schedule a shut DOWN but why the *ell don't we have a power up? I want to have my mac come on in the morning and say "good morning dave" like it has been doing for 3 years! Dang you OS X, dang you to heck!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    why bother turning ur osx-box off ever? it can work through the night (thru the week, thru the month..). Then you could get some kind of alarm clock prog that can say, "good morning, dave."

also, funny that you have it say "good morning, dave" when ur handle is "Jonathan Brisby".
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>why bother turning ur osx-box off ever?

also, funny that you have it say "good morning, dave" when ur handle is "Jonathan Brisby".</strong><hr></blockquote>

ANSWER 1) It hums. I can't sleep with such noise. (luck you if you can).

ANSWER 2) How is that funny? It is a HANDLE. Besides the "Good Morning Dave" is an old reference to an old joke in an old MacAddict Magazine about an Old movie about these people who go into space and they have this computer and.... well never mind.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Brisby:

<strong>ANSWER 1) It hums. I can't sleep with such noise. (luck you if you can).</strong><hr></blockquote>What about when you put it to sleep? The Mac should* be completely silent as practically everything is shut off.

[quote]<strong>ANSWER 2) How is that funny? It is a HANDLE. Besides the "Good Morning Dave" is an old reference to an old joke in an old MacAddict Magazine about an Old movie about these people who go into space and they have this computer and.... well never mind.</strong><hr></blockquote>*AHEM* That "old movie" is a classic! 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you haven't seen it, go out and rent it or buy it!

*Note: in most cases. If you have special additional hardware like a SCSI card that doesn't support deep sleep, then one of your fans will still run. The hard drives should still spin down, though, making it a bit quieter.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have see it. It was a joke. But anyhow, thanks for your advice, (I DO have a SCSI card (blast it!) and will try to work something out). I have considered a couple other options with powering it on and will eventually post details of how I handled this. Thanks again!