Adding new Folders/Partitions in X ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If let's say I wanted to add a new directory on a different partition/drive , am I [the original creator] the only one that can access it? [when i log in]

can i create the same thing but have it accessable to everyone?

ALSO :::

any advice on what I should separate into separate partitions?

partition 1: system folder

partition 2: apps

etc. etc. etc.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Frankly, I wouldn't bother to make multiple partitions. There are people who swear by having the swap file and Classic on separate partitions, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth IMO.

As far as the result, AFAIK you can have anyone see the new partition(s) or no one if you choose since you, as administrator, control the permissions of users and groups. By default, probably anyone can see the partition and its contents. But obviously, I haven't done this myself.

Remember, in order to partition, you're going to have to erase the hard drive to set up any (and boot from a CD). So back up your stuff no matter what!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    can there be multiple administrator accounts?

so a different person would be allowed to change the previewing setting of a specific folder if he/she chose to?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    A new folder created on a non-boot volume is automatically read-only for everyone but the owner. This can be changed using the Get Info window on the volume, folder or file level. Or you can set non-boot volumes to ignore permissions altogether.

There can be multiple administrator accounts, but they still cannot directly access folders for which they do not have permission. Of course it can be done via the command line or with administrator utilities, just not in the standard GUI. Also, all users have the ability to tell the system to completely ignore all permissions for non-boot volumes, so anything private would need to be stored on the boot volume.

Basically, if a person has access to a user account they can access any files on non-boot volumes. If they have a bootable MacOS 9 CD then they can get to any file on any disk attached to the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If it's put on the boot volume, but not in any of the standard folders [newly created one], would it still be read-only to everyone but the original creator?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yes.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    How can one make a certain folder in their "home" folder be accessible to certain other users on the machine [instead of to everyone] ?

is there a program that can simplify all of this?

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i don't do a lot of *nix permissions work, so maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the only way to do what you want is to put everyone that you want to be able to access a folder into a group and then enable read/write for that group only.

Someone please correct me if I am overlooking something, but I don't think it is possible to just arbitrarily add access for a single user without some *nix wrangling.