Finally; 3G iPhone reception issues being unmasked

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On the Apple Support website, there was a massive thread on "3G iPhone Reception Problems? You are not alone" that had to be closes, it became so big.

Poster after poster in every country highlighted how ineffective the 3G Iphonewas at connecting and then maintain a decent 3G signal even though other non-3G iPhone had no problem whatsoever. In the US, many atrributed blame to the less mature and more congested 3G AT&T network, but no other phone on the the same network had the same problems as the iPhone 3G, which appears to need an optimal signal in order to perform a as advertized (no dropped calls, ability to make and recxeive calls, swtitch to GSM when 3G signal is weak etc.).

Well, now its reported on that thread that the German tech mag Area DVD has published a test/review of the iPhone 3G. It said that their device (serial production, not part of a seeding) had serious problems maintaining a stable signal even when within 300 meters of an unobstructed view of a 3G celltower. Once indoors and just 500 meters from the celltower, they could hardly get any 3G signal.

At the same time, their Nokia E61i worked fine, with full bars reception and full data throughput.

This is the report (German, unfortunately):

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2008/iPhone_3G_01.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Not surprised. Those classic iPhone had the same problem since V1.1.1 and appears to improve significantly for V1.1.3. But when upgrading to V2.0, the phone suffers from the same weak reception issues. Makes me think the software is the cause. Hope they fix this soon.

It is a phone after all right ?. Apple ?. Hello ? Oh, you are using V1.1.1 still !
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Odd as some friends of mine in 2 states claim the same thing as their 3G signal is rather bad and very unstable with 3 other friends in the same state (different than the other 2) claim the opposite and get great 3G speed consistently
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yep, that's my frustration here in Berkeley Ca and the whole bay area so far. I can get 3G only in fleeting moments in the most ideal locations. The coverage map says my region is bathed in 3G but reality is 99% of where I go I can only pick up EDGE.

Apple genius bar replaced my phone and said if the issue continued, it must be AT&T. And it did. A couple hours of AT&T tech support and "passing it on to engineering" earned me a call back yesterday pretty much saying tough luck, the public map doesn't reflect true coverage strength, and if I'm lucky they'll add more towers someday.

I love my phone and I'll keep it, but it is totally not the business tool I thought I was waiting for. I can't take client calls while working online and exchanging emails, so holding out for the 3G phone and paying more monthly for it is pretty much a waste.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post

Yep, that's my frustration here in Berkeley Ca and the whole bay area so far. I can get 3G only in fleeting moments in the most ideal locations. The coverage map says my region is bathed in 3G but reality is 99% of where I go I can only pick up EDGE.

Apple genius bar replaced my phone and said if the issue continued, it must be AT&T. And it did. A couple hours of AT&T tech support and "passing it on to engineering" earned me a call back yesterday pretty much saying tough luck, the public map doesn't reflect true coverage strength, and if I'm lucky they'll add more towers someday.

I love my phone and I'll keep it, but it is totally not the business tool I thought I was waiting for. I can't take client calls while working online and exchanging emails, so holding out for the 3G phone and paying more monthly for it is pretty much a waste.

Just out of curiosity, have you updated to 2.01 yet? I've seen reports that the latest software improves reception on 3G.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just out of curiosity, have you updated to 2.01 yet? I've seen reports that the latest software improves reception on 3G.

yes, I am actually on my 3rd iphone 3G now and both #2 and #3 had the 2.0.1 update.

what I've heard is that the update makes the bars look more favorable but doesn't actually change reception. That was certainly my experience, that voice quality was still awful, calls couldn't be made and when they came in, they'd drop right away, and field test numbers were always from -95 to -117. I couldn't pick up 3G in Berkeley, San Fransisco, or surrounding areas except for fleeting moments, and "no service" was a common screen visitor. My connection was so unstable it would only successfully fetch my email once every day or two. On my way to exchange that phone (Jul 25 to Aug 12) I parked about 10 feet from a cell tower/tree, which got me -66 on edge and -117 with 3g turned on.

I returned that phone (#2) just yesterday and just got my 3rd 3G set up- it seems better, which would be cool, but it's too soon to really say. I do know my voice service at home is bad. but I also know i saw 3G on the route back where I didn't expect it, I got 3g near the cell tower I had parked by that morning with phone #2, and i made a clear call on a hilly stretch that used to be no service. Then the call dropped, and it went to "no service" for 5 minutes and had to be powered off and on to grab a signal again. so, it's a mixed verdict after one partial day. I'm off to work and errands aorudn town no, so I'll know by the end of today if this, my 3rd try from the Emeryville CA apple store, has actually fixed it for me!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post

yes, I am actually on my 3rd iphone 3G now and both #2 and #3 had the 2.0.1 update.

what I've heard is that the update makes the bars look more favorable but doesn't actually change reception. That was certainly my experience, that voice quality was still awful, calls couldn't be made and when they came in, they'd drop right away, and field test numbers were always from -95 to -117. I couldn't pick up 3G in Berkeley, San Fransisco, or surrounding areas except for fleeting moments, and "no service" was a common screen visitor. My connection was so unstable it would only successfully fetch my email once every day or two. On my way to exchange that phone (Jul 25 to Aug 12) I parked about 10 feet from a cell tower/tree, which got me -66 on edge and -117 with 3g turned on.

I returned that phone (#2) just yesterday and just got my 3rd 3G set up- it seems better, which would be cool, but it's too soon to really say. I do know my voice service at home is bad. but I also know i saw 3G on the route back where I didn't expect it, I got 3g near the cell tower I had parked by that morning with phone #2, and i made a clear call on a hilly stretch that used to be no service. Then the call dropped, and it went to "no service" for 5 minutes and had to be powered off and on to grab a signal again. so, it's a mixed verdict after one partial day. I'm off to work and errands aorudn town no, so I'll know by the end of today if this, my 3rd try from the Emeryville CA apple store, has actually fixed it for me!

Had a somewhat weird experience this evening at the mall. I had gone in to have some slacks altered and wandered over to the Apple Store (Washington Square Mall, OR). I immediately pulled out my iPhone to see if I could do the TestMyiPhone.com upload/download test in the store. The phone was showing 5 bars, but on EDGE! However, I took a call while there and before my eyes the phone switched to 3G. Mind you, only 1 to 2 bars and the quality was the lowest I have ever experienced, but there it was. When I ended the call, the phone immediately switched back to 5 bars EDGE.

Also, although the Apple Store WiFi signal kept coming up (and showing a strong signal) in the connection pop-up and wasn't asking for a password, I was not able to connect. Now, I know the mall has connection issues (my phone showed no bars at all - nada) the moment I walked clear of the Apple store, but now I finally get why people are pissed. I have great reception at both my office and house, both on WiFi and 3G, but I have to remember a few things about that as well. 1) My office is located in a fairly upscale business area in SW Portland and I confirmed that an AT&T tower is less than 1/2 mile from my office windows. 2) An AT&T tower is less than 2.5 from the front door of my home. So now I know why I've been very happy so far. This still does not explain why I got such great signal strength while camping out in the boonies for a full week, but I have not been able to complete a tower search where I was either.