Can Apple stop distribution of an application?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi there,

I'm doing a research paper on platform strategies for the mobile industry. Was wondering if anyone knows if Apple can stop distributing an application once it has appeared in the App Store? For instance, if Apple internally creates an application with the same or similar functionality as one offered by thrid-party developers, do they have the right to yank it and only offer their own?

Thanks!

Jaclyn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaclynP View Post

Hi there,

I'm doing a research paper on platform strategies for the mobile industry. Was wondering if anyone knows if Apple can stop distributing an application once it has appeared in the App Store? For instance, if Apple internally creates an application with the same or similar functionality as one offered by thrid-party developers, do they have the right to yank it and only offer their own?

Thanks!

Jaclyn

You would have to read the agreements that you get when you sign up as an iPhone individual developer. I can't post them as they are non-disclosure.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    If an application fails to satisfy the terms of the developer's agreement with Apple, then the application can and will be removed. For example the insecure game Aurora Feint was delisted from the app store. Now if the question is just whether Apple can delist applications that compete with its own applications, then I would suggest looking at the exact wording of the agreement. It likely does give Apple the right to refuse an application for any reason, so delisting may be allowed also for any reason.

Most likely, Apple will not delist competitors that otherwise are fine. This might discourage developers too much, and Apple applications will likely rise to the top regardless.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I suppose it's possible but there are already other Poker games on the platform. Although Apple's is by far the most popular one. I'd think they would want to compete on merit rather than monopoly.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Generally Apple does not like to do apps that have well done third party versions. Some will cry Konfabulator! But Konfabulator was a poorly done resource-hogging-under-the-hood OS X version of Apple Desk Accessories. Or Watson/Sherlock! Except Sherlock came first and Watson was just an extension from what was already there and in development.

In neither case did Apple prevent these folks from competing, they just delivered a far superior version in the case of Konfabulator and didn't quit developing the already in progress Sherlock.

Make a rocking good App and Apple will be more than happy to take their delivery cut from the App Store without having to hire a separate programming team to get it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    There also the example of the user Catfish on Ars who created the Coverflow application to control iTunes using cover art. He was giving it away for free as it was just a mental exercise for him. Apple contacted him and negotiated a deal to buy the concept from him. Now, who knows if they disclosed how pervasive Coverflow view would be in Mac OS X and OS X iPhone? But Catfish later reported that while he hadn't been made into a millionaire he felt he was treated and compensate fairly (he didn't/couldn't disclose the amount). So Apple saw something they liked that they hadn't thought of in-house and they paid the creator for the concept.

I think that follows well with Hiro's comment that the other examples people use of Apple cribbing indy developers' ideas isn't necessarily true. They probably felt Konfabulator and Watson were just extensions of their own work and therefore didn't deserve to be compensated.