iPhone 3G not that great?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is it just me or are there others underwhelmed by the new 3G iPhone?

I upgraded to the 16 Gb model and yes the yellow tinge screen definitely looks worse than my old screen. As for the 3G and GPS additions, firstly I find that 3G is not exactly widespread to be useful and secondly GPS is really a gimmick with no killer application to make use of it.

Sure the shape is nicer to hold but overall it looks cheaper than my original iPhone. Things that would have been good i.e. a better camera, video and MMS messaging support seem to be beyond Apple on this version.

Overall it just feels that Apple have cut corners to get the unit price down and as a result the end product is simply not as good as it shoud be as an upgrade to the first iPhone.

What with Apple screwing up my .Mac account too I am wondering whether Apple are becoming the new Microsoft; lots of promises but little delivery and that comes from someone who has bought loads of Macs, iPods and Apple software....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I was underwhelmed enough to not upgrade my v1 iPhone. While faster cell-net is a good thing, it wasn't enough to get me to upgrade. I have my fingers crossed that next year's update will include upgrade-worthy enhancements like a faster processer, better 3G battery life, better camera, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Under-whelmed would be a good word I think

Everyone I know who got the iPhone 3G is happy and nobody wants to take it back

But, I think they are a bit...I don't want to say disappointed but....they just thought they were getting a little more.

A few aren't getting 3G speeds anywhere near what they thought they would or they are getting poor to no signals in some parts of the city where they work or need it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    To be frank, I don't have experience with them, but I read the reviews for them are quite nice.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Courgette View Post

Is it just me or are there others underwhelmed by the new 3G iPhone?

I upgraded to the 16 Gb model and yes the yellow tinge screen definitely looks worse than my old screen. As for the 3G and GPS additions, firstly I find that 3G is not exactly widespread to be useful and secondly GPS is really a gimmick with no killer application to make use of it.

Sure the shape is nicer to hold but overall it looks cheaper than my original iPhone. Things that would have been good i.e. a better camera, video and MMS messaging support seem to be beyond Apple on this version.

Overall it just feels that Apple have cut corners to get the unit price down and as a result the end product is simply not as good as it shoud be as an upgrade to the first iPhone.

What with Apple screwing up my .Mac account too I am wondering whether Apple are becoming the new Microsoft; lots of promises but little delivery and that comes from someone who has bought loads of Macs, iPods and Apple software....

You should not have upgraded. If the original iPhone met your needs, you could have skipped a generation and saved considerable money. In fact, the $10 per month plan savings would have paid for your next phone.

I think Apple did the right thing. The 3G adds capabilities that people want without making the original iPhone customers feel like they have to upgrade. The 3g is going to grow AT&T's base of 3g plan users. That should provide revenue to improve 3g coverage. The new price is also driving down the price of all smartphones. When we switched to AT&T, my wife picked up a Blackberry curve for less than half of what similar phones were selling for a year ago.

Everyone benefits.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I don't get it. How can anyone be underwhelmed when they knew exactly what they were getting? In my opinion the only people who should be underwhelmed are the people who are not getting great 3G performance.

I'm a guy so I want it to be functional before I want it to look pretty. The plastic casing should allow for better signal strength, especially for the GPS chips which are particularly sensitive.

I also disagree with your statement that GPS isn't wide spread. There are dozens and dozens of apps that use your location to find things ie restaurants, directions, gas, dry cleaning... You may not use it in your everyday life but it will come in really handy when you travel. Be patient, too. There are only 1000 or so apps now with many more coming.

This is all just my opinion. I live in a bigger city and so I often find myself in the parts that I don't always know. It will come in handy to have GPS not so much for the directions but to show me where I can find the closest Subway so I don't screw up my Jarrod diet.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I think the iPhone 3G is a stepping stone product.

If i had an original iPhone i would certainly be waiting until the location based services really start to shine ... maybe when a full Sat-nav like product emerges.

They had to launch a new version this year because its what the analysts would expect.

I wasn't a 1st gen iPhone owner and did buy the 3G ... but where i work and where i live i cannot get a 3G signal (although i have wifi at home) but for about 90% of the data services i use are for things like twitter etc ... which means the EDGE speed is fine. I'm never that far from a computer that if i need a really heavy site i can hop on a pc but i still find the browser usable.

THe location services i have switched off and haven't found the need to use YET. The email i use a lot but that also works fine with push and EDGE speeds. A couple of my friends had 1st gen iphones and are waiting
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Frankly I don't get any of your whining, it is not like everybody and their brother didn't try to dispell some of the myths around the new tech.

First 3G! AT&T barely got phase one of their 3G roll out done before iPhone 3ag hit. That roll out only covers a very small portion of the country. As AT&T gets technical feed back they can improve the current coverage. As to the 3G issues specific to iPhone Apple can fix some of that via updates.

Your comments on GPS indicate that either you don't understand the technology or don't realize that iPhone is an handheld computer. GPS works well in it's current implementation and is both fast and accurate. Sure there have been reported problems but I fully expect the glitches to be fixed. However the real opportunity for GPS doesn't reside with Apple but rather the software developers. Here the potential is huge.

Cheaper I do hope so as the original was way to expensive. However you are mistaken if you belive a lower dust means less quality. My 3G feels very high quality in my hands. More so it performs well especially ok a rev one OS. It is very much rev one as it was completely reworked to support app developers.

Then we come to dot Mac and your crying in your cerial over a glich that omg impacted YOU! Get over it! Mobile Me switched over for me with out issue and frankly is a vast improvement. Yes there are some issues but you learn to work around them till fixed. In any event it looks like you took your dot mac account issues as reason to complain about none issues on the iPhone. Pretty swift! It would have been on thing to complain about a real issue people have had with something like GPS. Instead what you offer up appears to be your inability to comprehend the possibilities or usefullness of the hardware. GPS does work well on iPhone placing me right at the light pole in the parking lot at work. Give developers time and the possibilities become endless.

So in a nut shell give us some beef to work with. 3G has it's problems, like all tech, it's just that you really haven't focused on any of them. As I've said I'm pleased with my 3G. That doesn't mean updates won't or can't happen, they will. Infact I want them to happen as soon as possible
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I don't get any of your whining, it is not like everybody and their brother didn't try to dispell some of the myths around the new tech.

First 3G! AT&T barely got phase one of their 3G roll out done before iPhone 3ag hit. That roll out only covers a very small portion of the country. As AT&T gets technical feed back they can improve the current coverage. As to the 3G issues specific to iPhone Apple can fix some of that via updates.

Your comments on GPS indicate that either you don't understand the technology or don't realize that iPhone is an handheld computer. GPS works well in it's current implementation and is both fast and accurate. Sure there have been reported problems but I fully expect the glitches to be fixed. However the real opportunity for GPS doesn't reside with Apple but rather the software developers. Here the potential is huge.

Cheaper I do hope so as the original was way to expensive. However you are mistaken if you belive a lower dust means less quality. My 3G feels very high quality in my hands. More so it performs well especially ok a rev one OS. It is very much rev one as it was completely reworked to support app developers.

Then we come to dot Mac and your crying in your cerial over a glich that omg impacted YOU! Get over it! Mobile Me switched over for me with out issue and frankly is a vast improvement. Yes there are some issues but you learn to work around them till fixed. In any event it looks like you took your dot mac account issues as reason to complain about none issues on the iPhone. Pretty swift! It would have been on thing to complain about a real issue people have had with something like GPS. Instead what you offer up appears to be your inability to comprehend the possibilities or usefullness of the hardware. GPS does work well on iPhone placing me right at the light pole in the parking lot at work. Give developers time and the possibilities become endless.

So in a nut shell give us some beef to work with. 3G has it's problems, like all tech, it's just that you really haven't focused on any of them. As I've said I'm pleased with my 3G. That doesn't mean updates won't or can't happen, they will. Infact I want them to happen as soon as possible

Heh, calm down before you do yourself some injury...

I live in the UK where 3G is quite widespread but the areas where I tend to go either don't have it or have free WiFi as well so the 3G part doesn't really benefit me. As for GPS, I am sure that finding yourself under a light in the parking lot is the highlight of your day but for the rest of us that is probably something you only do once. I agree that the potential is huge (e.g. location services) but the main use of GPS so far is navigation and my car (where I actually need it) has that built in.

I think one of the earlier comments is probably right. If you've not had an iPhone before the 3G looks great. But if you already have one then this upgrade is probably worth giving a miss.

I think Apple have built this iPhone to a price point to enable it to become a mass market product. That's understandable but sadly it means that some useful features (a better camera, MMS messaging, video etc.) have been overlooked. I also think that the screen is definitely lower quality but that's clearly a subjective view.

The good news is that my MobileMe account is now working properly and I agree that its a great improvement but I only know that now that it's working.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Courgette View Post

Heh, calm down before you do yourself some injury...

I live in the UK where 3G is quite widespread but the areas where I tend to go either don't have it or have free WiFi as well so the 3G part doesn't really benefit me. As for GPS, I am sure that finding yourself under a light in the parking lot is the highlight of your day but for the rest of us that is probably something you only do once. I agree that the potential is huge (e.g. location services) but the main use of GPS so far is navigation and my car (where I actually need it) has that built in.

I think one of the earlier comments is probably right. If you've not had an iPhone before the 3G looks great. But if you already have one then this upgrade is probably worth giving a miss.

I think Apple have built this iPhone to a price point to enable it to become a mass market product. That's understandable but sadly it means that some useful features (a better camera, MMS messaging, video etc.) have been overlooked. I also think that the screen is definitely lower quality but that's clearly a subjective view.

The good news is that my MobileMe account is now working properly and I agree that its a great improvement but I only know that now that it's working.

I have to agree with you here. I bought my shiny new iPhone here in the US and got on a plane for London the next day (for the first time) and couldn't believe how poor 3G support was and Wi-Fi is treated like a rare commodity. I have to admit I a bit disappointed with my new iPhone, not being able to use most of its capabilities for two weeks.