Help! Confused about my iPhone 3G USB connector and also iTunes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Please do bear with me guys because I'm really not very technologically minded which is why I try to buy Apple because they tend to be easier to use and better looking! Any help is really appreciated!

I'm the proud owner of a new iPhone 3G but my dad has an iPod nano and already we've managed to get the USB connectors mixed up!

They look similar, but...

One has a bigger plug (the plug that goes into the iPod/iPhone not the USB end), or at least a bigger/longer plastic part over the metal part, and has the Apple logo on one side of the USB end.

One has a smaller plug and no Apple logo on the USB end.

Both seem to plug into my iPhone okay but I want to make sure I'm using the right one as I don't want to damage my iPhone. I have plugged both in and connected them to the USB port and both seemed to synch with iTunes OK but I want to be sure.

I am in the UK if that makes any difference to iPod/iPhone specs or anything.

Any ideas? And will I have damaged my iPhone by briefly using the wrong connector? Will my dad have damaged his nano if he used the wrong one on it? He can't recall which one he used!

Also, I'm staying with my Dad for a while but wanted to set up my iPhone so I had to plug it into his Windows XP PC (yeah I know what I can do! Dads don't listen!) rather than my own Mac at home to set it up. I don't even have iTunes up and running on my Mac yet as my iPhone 3G is the first digital music player I've owned.

I set my dad's computer's iTunes not to synch with my iPhone as I don't want his music collection on it, but I'm worried now I've used his PC to set up my iPhone, I won't be able to use it with my Mac when I return home - is that correct or I can I just set it up on my Mac when I get back and it'll be okay?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions! Any help truly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    The one with less plastic on the non-usb end is the iPhone connector.

It doesn't make any difference which one you use for which device. They are both universal cables and work with all relatively new iPods, any iPod Touch and any iPhone. Apple somewhat recently made the plastic shorter to make it less bulky I assume.

Click to check it out for yourself.

I actually left my iPhone connector at a hotel a while back and I have just been using my iPod 5G's.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rsteversteve Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

The one with less plastic on the non-usb end is the iPhone connector.

It doesn't make any difference which one you use for which device. They are both universal cables and work with all relatively new iPods, any iPod Touch and any iPhone. Apple somewhat recently made the plastic shorter to make it less bulky I assume.

Click to check it out for yourself.

I actually left my iPhone connector at a hotel a while back and I have just been using my iPod 5G's.

Thank you very much!

Steve