ACD burning my desktop into itself

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so this is the second time it happened and as I do a lot of computer animation, it's starting to get annoying. I accedentally left my ACD on (30") today when i left at 8. when i got home at 5, and opened my computer animation app (blender, which starts out effectevly completely grey). I noticed a vauge impression of the screen i had left the acd on today. This DID happen before, and it goes away after a day or two. Still, it is annoying. My questions: A) is this bad B) what should I do?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I didn't even read your post.

Call Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    You should pay better attention to what you are doing.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Don't blame him. The screens these days should handle that amount of static image.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Well, seing as my alarm clock went off 2 1/2 minutes before I had to rush out the door, I think it's safe to say that "checking your computer display" was not at the top of my list of priorities.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Well, seing as my alarm clock went off 2 1/2 minutes before I had to rush out the door, I think it's safe to say that "checking your computer display" was not at the top of my list of priorities.

It's your display, you operate it, OK?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You should set your display to go to sleep sooner in your energy saver system preferences. You can leave your computer on all the time and never sleep the hard drive but put the display to sleep after maybe 15 minutes. This can be annoying with quicktime as playing a quicktime movie doesn't seem to register as doing something but VLC blocks the display sleep so you can use that instead for watching movies.

If it happens again, you can try switching screen resolution and then change it back - that can refresh your pixels and sometimes works for stuck pixels too.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    It's not good for it but they say you can leave it off for 48 hours and the ghosting should disappear
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Sorry but "checking your computer display," is at the top of my life before I leave for the day. You can effectively put it under, "taking care of things that cost a lot of money.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You guys are a bunch of jerks: burn-in is not supposed to happen with LCDs, period. This is common knowledge, or so I thought.

It sounds like your display is in a bad way. Not much I can do about that. Call Apple, or talk to a service center.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You should set your display to go to sleep sooner in your energy saver system preferences. You can leave your computer on all the time and never sleep the hard drive but put the display to sleep after maybe 15 minutes. This can be annoying with quicktime as playing a quicktime movie doesn't seem to register as doing something but VLC blocks the display sleep so you can use that instead for watching movies.

If it happens again, you can try switching screen resolution and then change it back - that can refresh your pixels and sometimes works for stuck pixels too.

Theres also a little program called Caffine that you can use to quickly and easily stop your display from going to sleep while watching movies etc.

http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/
  • Reply 11 of 13
    first kudos on being a fellow mac blender user!

i have a 3 year old acd and i've noticed the image retention issue as well. on mine it will start showing a bit even after a few minutes. it can be annoying but it does always fade, and otherwise my cinema display has served me fantastically! (although my housemate just got the 24" imac and that display is definitely droolworthy)

i echo the recommendation to just set your power settings to sleep the display after 1/2 hr or something. then you never have to worry about it!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Here's a no time flat fix. Press Control-Shift-Eject before leaving at it will immediately sleep the display. Of course it's advisable to set the Energy Saver as well in case something wakes the display or you just walk away.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Here's a no time flat fix. Press Control-Shift-Eject before leaving at it will immediately sleep the display. Of course it's advisable to set the Energy Saver as well in case something wakes the display or you just walk away.

One can easily setup hot corners as well, and that's exactly what I do. Then the display is set to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity in addition to that. It's a habit that's very easy to get into. After all, it's my display, thus my responsibility, there is nothing else to blame if the display is ignored.