Possible to Edit Song Info in ITunes with songs not on hard drive?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but I've been searching to a really annoying problem and finally came to the conclusion that I need some help! I have the majority of my music backed up onto cds and dvds. I just got a new IPod to replace my recently broken one, and have been putting music on. Some of it needs the Song Info edited in ITunes so that it is organized correctly. However, as I'm syncing it to the IPod directly from the dvds (cds), it can't edit the actual song files unless I go back, copy them onto the hard drive, re-sync them, edit the info, and then delete from the hard drive. It seems both an excessive amount of what should be unnecessary work. I have no need to keep 80 gigs of music on my hard drive, and can't imagine that everyone does besides myself. So I'm thinking there HAS to be a way to edit info without access to the song file itself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have went into Preferences and deselected "Keep ITunes Music Folder Organized", as ITunes Help suggests that this will keep ITunes from accessing the stored files, but it doesn't do anything.