Speculation on next upgrade!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple normally waits 6 months to offer an upgrade on their computer products.

I tried to get an iPhone 3g last week but they're sold out. I was going to order one (10-20 business days) and I thought about holding off until Christmas in the case they have a sweeter one (camera, battery, etc).

When should we expect the upgrade to get out all of the quirks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    They might release a memory upgraded one in the interim, but a full tech refresh will unlikely be announced until macworld in '09.... even then, what can they offer? Most of the problems people have with iphone are battery, camera, processor performance and storage .... these aren't really version 3 worthy announcement material ... more just minor rev items.

Everything else can be done in software (cut/paste, full sat nav etc)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    My personal opinion (which can be wrong often) is you won't see a battery/camera upgrade until the next phone next year around this time

If they do offer a new phone, it will be a space upgrade or color change
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    We can't talk about a user replaceable battery because that clearly is not coming any time soon. So, when we say battery we must mean battery life. Battery life is not a minor rev. Improving battery life is monumental because it will require a chipset change. There are a lot of rumbles on the inet in this regard but I don't think we'll see a chipset change before next summer.

I agree that we might see a color change. Probably red, in Bono's honor

So, IMHO, buy now. The longer you have it the more you'll get for your money.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I find I get lots of battery if I am pro-active about conserving energy (not wasting it). It doesn't take much effort, the difference is substantial. When I'm on wifi, I turn off 3G. Anytime (most) I'm not using GPS, I turn it off. When I'm away from wifi, I turn that off and turn on 3G (if I need data). This all gets second nature. I keep the screen at half-brightness (still very bright) most of the time, but lower if I'm not doing anything beyond menus. Etc.... Don't worry about battery... have fun with the toy!

For a phone camera, you do not want more than 2MP! MP pertains to overall dimensions of a photo, not quality. However, the more MP you have on a tiny sensor, the more noise you get, which is ugly. Thank Apple for not falling into the marketing trap of selling more MP's at the expense of quality.

Not having video (a software upgrade or app from iTunes) is not a deal killer. I have 16GB with thousands of songs, a scud load of apps and podcasts and still have lots of storage left over. Apps are TINY! Don't sweat it, enjoy it! If you run into a problem, it will be most likely in the first two weeks, a tiny percentage have problems, just swap it out for another. Enjoy.