Syncing files between two Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello.

I haven't found anything via the forum search on this topic, but can remember, that this topic was brought up in recent months.

I have two Macs, one for the road and one for home.

As I have a digital camera, I store the images (jpg and raw) on an external hard drive.

I want to be able to have another copy of those files on my MacBook, for editing on the road, and when I come home, to copy the modified and new images and files back to the external drive.

I also edit some pictures on my iMac, so the process has to be vice versa:

Do any of you know of a software that syncs only the modified files back and forth, and doesn't treat one file (or set of files) as the master and the other as copy like FileSync?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Ahhh, I'm an old lazy fool.

I used an infamous search robot and found this: ChronoSync.

Maybe it helps someone, but if any of you know a better, and free (besides rsync) solution, I'm listening.

Have a good day...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It is definitely not for the feint of heart, but I use Unison. Despite the what the web-site says, it is still seeing some development (just not from the original author). I would think about working on it myself, but I don't really what to lean OCamil.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

It is definitely not for the feint of heart, but I use Unison. Despite the what the web-site says, it is still seeing some development (just not from the original author). I would think about working on it myself, but I don't really what to lean OCamil.

Anyone used PowerFolder.com?? I want to sync one folder between several computers. I may should look into setting up some kind of file server instead but what I want to do seems simple enough.

I need to sync Excel files between machines as they are updated. Whether we are on the road or in the office I need to sync when connected to the net. .Mac is not an option since I want to sync with other computers in the office and we want local copes. PowerFolder seems to be an answer but I don't like the fact I can't find many reviews and the licensing is a bit weird.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Despite being capable with Linux, rsync, bash etc. I found Unison a pain to setup and even after double checking everything I still had the damn thing lose files.

Chronosync however works like a charm, offers lifetime upgrades and has a GUI which makes it pretty clear what's being copied and what's not. They have a handy guide too for syncing two macs.