Share iTunes Library between on same Mac between OSX & Parallels WinXP

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone know if its possible to somehow share my iTunes library on my MacPro (10.5.4) between both my Mac OS, and also with my Parallels Windows XP OS, which is installed on the same computer?

I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of the various software utilities (tagging, etc...) that are available for the Window version of iTunes, but not for the Mac...and seeing as how altering the tags of my iTunes music would be one of the things on my agenda if I can share my iTunes Library between my Mac-OS and my Virtual-XP-OS, I just want to be absolutely certain that to avoid potentially screwing things up by changing meta tags and other information (album art, etc...) via iTunes on my XP virtual machine, such that the changes made wouldn't be recognized when I next open iTunes on my Mac...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m021478 View Post

Does anyone know if its possible to somehow share my iTunes library on my MacPro (10.5.4) between both my Mac OS, and also with my Parallels Windows XP OS, which is installed on the same computer?

I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of the various software utilities (tagging, etc...) that are available for the Window version of iTunes, but not for the Mac...and seeing as how altering the tags of my iTunes music would be one of the things on my agenda if I can share my iTunes Library between my Mac-OS and my Virtual-XP-OS, I just want to be absolutely certain that to avoid potentially screwing things up by changing meta tags and other information (album art, etc...) via iTunes on my XP virtual machine, such that the changes made wouldn't be recognized when I next open iTunes on my Mac...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I wasn't aware that there were differences in tagging between PC and Mac. You can right click songs on a Mac and choose Get Info to add artwork, artist info, lyrics, etc. But, I don't have a PC so I may be missing something

I think Parallels (I actually use Fusion and VirtualBox) has an option to mount a share in Windows that points to you Mac. That's how you'd want to set it up.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    m021478m021478 Posts: 71member
    I've been searching for an automated way of correcting music tracks that are tagged either incorrectly or are incomplete with lots of missing meta tags, and my searching has brought me to this...

I figured it would be worth a shot...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I was thinking about this and the best choice I could come up with is to create a 3rd partition on your HD using the disk utility on the Mac OSX install disc 1 and to put all of your music on this 3rd partition. That way it can be accessed by both win xp and mac, indepent of what OS you are running. My fear with a parallels share is that it will only work if parallels is running, but when you solo boot into Win XP those shares will no longer be visible. A dedicated music partition should do the trick.