iTunes vs. App Store vs. Mobile Applications folder

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I noticed inconsistencies between the apps on my iPod Touch, in iTunes and on my hard drive, as well as weird reports of the number of available updates, so I decided to start from scratch. Here's the best I could do:

8 apps on iTouch (0 updates), 10 apps in iTunes (6 updates), 37 apps in Mobile Applications folder

Erased everything from iTunes, then synced the iPod.

4 apps on iTouch (0 updates), 0 apps in iTunes (0 updates), 21 apps in Mobile Applications folder

The iPod reinstalled 4 apps onto my Mac, not to mention the big pile of orphan apps that are still in the Mobile Applications folder. I erased everything from iTunes again and tossed the contents of the folder and synced again.

0 apps on iTouch (0 updates), 0 apps in iTunes (0 updates), 0 apps in Mobile Applications folder

Clean slate. Dragged the backups of my 18 actual applications into iTunes and watched it copy them into the Mobile Applications folder. Synced the iPod.

18 apps on iTouch (10 updates), 18 apps in iTunes (10 updates), 18 apps in Mobile Applications folder

All the available "updates" are already installed. 7 of them are AIM. Went ahead and told it to download the updates.

18 apps on iTouch (9 updates), 18 apps in iTunes (9 updates), 19 apps in Mobile Applications folder

Now there are two copies of AIM in the Mobile Applications folder. Available updates page now shows 6 copies of AIM and 3 copies of Exposure. Both apps are already at their most current version. Clicked "update all" again.

18 apps on iTouch (11 updates), 18 apps in iTunes (11 updates), 20 apps in Mobile Applications folder

Now 3 copies of AIM in the Mobile Applications folder. 11 updates available (6 AIM, 2 Enigmo, 3 Exposure). Clicked "update all" again.

18 apps on iTouch (7 updates), 18 apps in iTunes (7 updates), 23 apps in Mobile Applications folder

Added another copy of AIM (total of 4 now), along with duplicate copies of Enigmo and Exposure. Sidebar shows 7 available updates, update page shows the same 11 as before.

Powered down iTouch, looking for gun...

Has anybody managed any better luck keeping these things straight?