Anyone using a UPS with USB in OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm wondering if the auto-shutdown feature works well, or at all, since I've heard that this feature may not work in OS X. What brand/model are you using?

Thanks.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I want to, but I want something with 650-700 VA from APC. I know Belkin has a 650 VA UPS, but I want an APC. The largest Mac OS X / USB compatible APC is 500 VA.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Good lord, man, what are you planning on running off of it? A P4?

I've got a B/W G3, 15" Apple LCD, three external drives, a LexMark printer, a DSL modem, an Ethernet hub, an AirPort, and a NeXTStation all running off of the APC 500 USB, and it lasts a good 10 minutes. Turning off the NeXT, I get about 14.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I want to, but I want something with 650-700 VA from APC. I know Belkin has a 650 VA UPS, but I want an APC. The largest Mac OS X / USB compatible APC is 500 VA. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah - I saw both of those models in the Apple Store. The Belkin model looks a little more capable, but it doesn't come with OS X software (only OS 9). APC has OS X software, but I understand that it doesn't work for the auto shutdown due to some OS X flaw. A third party vendor. Benatong, provides UPS OS X software for a variety of models. I sent them an email asking if their software is compatible with the Belkin UPS and inquiring about the auto shutdown feature.

I'd prefer the Belkin model because it has can even out both high and low voltage, and not just low voltage (brownout). But I need OS X software.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Good lord, man, what are you planning on running off of it? A P4?

I've got a B/W G3, 15" Apple LCD, three external drives, a LexMark printer, a DSL modem, an Ethernet hub, an AirPort, and a NeXTStation all running off of the APC 500 USB, and it lasts a good 10 minutes. Turning off the NeXT, I get about 14.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kickaha,

Does the auto shutdown feature work in OS X?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>

Kickaha,

Does the auto shutdown feature work in OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know, I hate to admit this, but... I have no idea. I've never tested it. &lt;blanket of shame&gt;
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

You know, I hate to admit this, but... I have no idea. I've never tested it. &lt;blanket of shame&gt;</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could you test it? Assuming it's turned on, all you have to do is walk over to the wall and pull the plug from the socket. And then see what happens.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    here's my reply from Benatong

&gt; Dear Benatong,

&gt;

&gt; I'm considering purchasing the Belkin 650VA Regulator Pro UPS with USB from

&gt; the online Apple store. Is your software compatible with this model from

&gt; Belkin? Are there any limitations? Thanks.

&gt;

&gt;

&gt; Gobble Gobble

Regulator Pro works fine. The only limitiation with any USB UPS

is that the UPS cannot be shutdown after the computer powers off.

This is supposed to be fixed in 10.2. If it is we will take advantage of it.

Thanks,

Chuck

--

UPS Management software for OS X

<a href="http://www.powerguardian.com"; target="_blank">http://www.powerguardian.com</a>;
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I have 3 separate computer setups on 3 different APC Back-UPS CS 350 Smart UPS. Setups contain G4, printer, external USB drive, iSub and NTSC Sony monitors on each. The software works perfect under OSX and OS9, there are two versions of this software. The electric went out on my street todaty (NJ), and it worked perfectly. In OSX it warns you...depending on how you set it up...that you have a certain amount of time before shut down. I understand that OSX will save your last setups during shut down if the power goes out before you shut the computer down yourself. It works. Each power supply cost about 65 to 80 dollars each... <a href="http://www.buyuptime.com"; target="_blank">www.buyuptime.com</a>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Kickaha, I have:

a 2x1000 MHz G4

a 19" CRT

three external FireWire HDDs

two internal HDDs

I want about 10 minutes to save open projects before auto-shutdown. I also want to accomodate future additions.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    APC BackUPS Pro 500 USB -- the clear one.

Works perfectly. I've tested it by disconnecting the power while powered-up and while sleeping.

Each time, the UPS notified me of the power outage, along with how much time I had left. It then shut down the machine after the period of time specified in the Preference Pane.

Highly recommended. It's around $89 now. The latest drivers are on VersionTracker.com.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>APC BackUPS Pro 500 USB -- the clear one.

Works perfectly. I've tested it by disconnecting the power while powered-up and while sleeping.

Each time, the UPS notified me of the power outage, along with how much time I had left. It then shut down the machine after the period of time specified in the Preference Pane.

Highly recommended. It's around $89 now. The latest drivers are on VersionTracker.com.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gordy,

What about the comments from the guy at Benatong? Have you observed this?

One more thing. The APC model you referred to is listed at the Apple Store for $149. Where did you see $89?

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Kickaha, I have:

a 2x1000 MHz G4

a 19" CRT

three external FireWire HDDs

two internal HDDs

I want about 10 minutes to save open projects before auto-shutdown. I also want to accomodate future additions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, it's probably the CRT that's the drain. Got it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>

What about the comments from the guy at Benatong? Have you observed this? One more thing. The APC model you referred to is listed at the Apple Store for $149. Where did you see $89?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure what you meant regarding Benatong, but I'm using APC-branded software. As far as the price, I saw this on dealmac.com recently: [quote]<a href="http://dealmac.com/articles/38159.html"; target="_blank">APC Back-UPS Pro USB 500VA UPS for $100 shipped</a>

5:00 am ET, Jul 17, 2002

energyOn.com offers the APC Back-UPS Pro USB Clear 500VA UPS for $99.99, $50 off. With free shipping, it's the lowest price we've seen for this particular UPS...<hr></blockquote>

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]</p>