"Blue Box" alive and well

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With 10.2 getting close to finish line, Steve has put additional emphasis on the importance of inclusion of a Blue Box layer in future 10.x to give users the ability to run Windows applications. (Note, this is not "Run Windows", but rather "Windows Applications.) Trap Win32 API calls and turn them into Mac OX X.x APIs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Blue Box in Rhapsody is what became Classic in Mac OS X.

MOSR talked about a "Red Box" under development that could run Windows apps, but I'll believe it when I see it.

What would be the benefit of running Windows apps on OS X? OS/2 tried the trick of being a superior OS that could also run Windows applications, and look how far it got.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Blue Box in Rhapsody is what became Classic in Mac OS X.

MOSR talked about a "Red Box" under development that could run Windows apps, but I'll believe it when I see it.

What would be the benefit of running Windows apps on OS X? OS/2 tried the trick of being a superior OS that could also run Windows applications, and look how far it got.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

-----------

Wasn't it the Red Box that became Classic? I may have my Red/Blue Box mixed up, but the emphasis is still being put on the front burner.

Remember the StarTrek Project? Would you rather run in the user interface of OS/2 or Mac OS X? The reason OS/2 failed was that it failed to significantly improve the user experience. It's about making Windows Applications better than running them under Windows, IF YOU HAVE TO RUN AN APPLICATION THAT IS NOT YET ON A MAC.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I still hope for the green box and orange box to come true...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My understanding was the Blue Box was the progenitor of Classic mode, Yellow Box was the progenitor of Cocoa/CoreFoundation, and that the mythical Red Box ran Windows apps.

I give the chances of that happening as somewhere below 1%, but hey, Apple has done worse things for themselves.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I kinda want to get an XBox. Airplanes have a black box. There's a dump box around the corner from my house. Too many boxes, what is this thread about? I guess I'm a dumbass. Is this tennis?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Blue Box: Classic apps on PPC

Red Box: WIN32 API on **INTEL**

Yellow Box: Cocoa on PPC or Intel

That was the Rhapsody project.

Blue Box became Classic, where the apps co-exist with the other apps on the system. (Blue Box had them in their own 'box'... literally... they were a separate UI system. Think VirtualPC... OS in a window.)

Yellow Box became Cocoa/PPC.

Developers didn't like the 'lack' of choice there, so Apple created Carbon.

MacOS X/Intel was scrapped, so no Red Box or Cocoa/Intel.

There was never a Red Box to run WIN32 apps on MacOS X on PowerPC hardware, except for the rumor sites.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I want the box with a different color on each side....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Jamie wants all your boxes
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Jamie wants all your boxes </strong><hr></blockquote>

Do I?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cottoncotton Posts: 1member
    allyuorboxesarebelongtous? &lt;ducks&gt;
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Somebody set up us the bomb?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

Do I? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about things in the UK, but over here in the New World 'box' refers to female genitalia, not male. Think about it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    *cough*

So, anyway, back on topic...