Which iMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking at 2 different iMacs in the Apple refurb store and at first glance, it looks like the only difference is an improved graphics card, but there are a couple of differences and I'd like a couple other opinions.

Lower priced model ($999):

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

6mb shared L2 Cache

1066 MHz system bus

800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250 GB hard drive

Higher priced model ($1100):

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

4mb shared L2 Cache

800 MHz system bus

667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

320 GB hard drive

The hard drive difference doesn't concern me as I'm planning on popping in my current 640 GB drive, but I was curious as to the trade-offs or if you think the difference would be noticable between the models. I'm leaning toward the lower priced one. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Cheaper (and most recent) model has faster RAM and system bus and a larger cache.

The graphic card is of a lower spec, however. If your needs won't be affected by that, then go for the cheaper model
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philweb View Post

I'm looking at 2 different iMacs in the Apple refurb store and at first glance, it looks like the only difference is an improved graphics card, but there are a couple of differences and I'd like a couple other opinions.

Lower priced model ($999):

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

6mb shared L2 Cache

1066 MHz system bus

800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250 GB hard drive

Higher priced model ($1100):

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

4mb shared L2 Cache

800 MHz system bus

667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

320 GB hard drive

The hard drive difference doesn't concern me as I'm planning on popping in my current 640 GB drive, but I was curious as to the trade-offs or if you think the difference would be noticable between the models. I'm leaning toward the lower priced one. Thanks for any advice.

You had better know what you're doing if you try to replace the internal HD in an Aluminum iMac. They are not at all like previous models, and you had better know that you will void your warranty.