3G Chip Defective?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

If Infineon's chip is indeed the culprit, then it will be a big-time version of "Lucy, you gots some splainin' to do!"
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I've noticed my 3G dropping to 2G occasionally at work. For some reason turning my iPhone off & on

will get the 3G to return.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Apple decided to buy chipsets from a minor player with a single digit market share.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=209100058

Nobody would have ever questioned the stability of the chipset if Apple decided to buy from industry leaders (Qualcomm and TI).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Where is the original content in this post? And the next one?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Where is the original content in this post? And the next one?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Apple decided to buy chipsets from a minor player with a single digit market share.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=209100058

Nobody would have ever questioned the stability of the chipset if Apple decided to buy from industry leaders (Qualcomm and TI).

Once upon a time a fellow I know had a small company. That company had a great idea for a third-party product. They closely examined every detail of the product, marketing, marketing & product lifecycle, distribution means, channel pricing, etc. All was "Go".

However, instead of doing a limited run to work out the bugs, this fellow argued that mass production would lower costs and provide a ground swell of demand that needed to be quickly met or interest would fade. In the end, all of the founders agreed and they did a full blown production run.

The product arrived and everyone was estatic! I looked great and tested great on every single Mac system they tried. They opened the flood gates and orders started pouring in. They got great press from the Mac rags and all was well...... until.

Someone with an older system reported that it just didn't work on his system. Then another, and another, and another, and another, etc. etc. etc. Then the truth was discovered. The Taiwan manufacturing company that was contracted to build the product substituted a key non-programable chip for another, saving just pennies per unit in the process.

The resulting non-correctable bug was widely reported, destroying the product, the young company that was founded to bring it to market, and the reputations of the founders of that company.

No. the above is not a fairly tale, and it should be obvious that Apple is not the young company that I mention. But still, if the current 3G problems are primarily the result of a poor choice of chips to cut corners, then why in the world is this not getting more attention?

I am not having most of the issues that often get reported here and elsewhere. But that is very likely due to the fact that most of my iPhone work is done via WiFi and not on the 3G network. Whenever I do make a call or access the 3G network, I have not had issues. But maybe I'm just lucky.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how do you know if your iphone is defective? is there a test?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how do you know if your iphone is defective? is there a test?

They are not "defective" per se.

It is just that chipsets from the number 1 and number 2 players may be able to hold on to weaker cell phone signals longer.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

They are not "defective" per se.

It is just that chipsets from the number 1 and number 2 players may be able to hold on to weaker cell phone signals longer.

Just to be clear on this... I am also NOT saying that the iPhone 3G is "defective". I have had very few problems at all and that was prior to the firmware 2.01 update.

What I AM saying is that if the product manager, buyer, whomever, made a decision to use the smaller company chip set, and on such a HUGE new product; and if said chipset is discovered to be the largest factor in whether or not the iPhone 3G can capture and hold a weak 3G signal?

Then, boy or boy, they better be pressing the F15 key!*** I have seen "his Steveness" light someone up for something a lot less trouble than this, and it ain't pretty.

*** F15 is/was the imaginary F Key that you push to immediately update your resume and print it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

What I AM saying is that if the product manager, buyer, whomever, made a decision to use the smaller company chip set, and on such a HUGE new product; and if said chipset is discovered to be the largest factor in whether or not the iPhone 3G can capture and hold a weak 3G signal?

There are many reasons why Apple picked the small chipset makers (Infineon, TriQuint and Samsung) --- cost cutting (in order to give the carriers a chance to subsidize the phone) and control (Apple wants to be able to boss their partners around in order to get the best "customization" and lower pricing).

Texas Instruments and Qualcomm together have 70% of the world's cell phone chipset market --- they don't have to listen to Apple's 1% market share goal and they certainly won't have to give Apple a discount on pricing.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Turns out my reception improves if I hold the phone at the top instead of the bottom, where the antenna is. Try it, you see your bars/number go up and down.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    in my small town we just got 3g, every time i have wanted 3g i got it, sometimes faster than others usually speeds >500kbs, i don't use 3g for talk, i set up my phone 2g, BT on, wireless and 3g off. when i need 3g i enable, and it's been there for me in denver, LA, at airports etc. so is this simply product variablity? i don't know how to even determine if my phone is "slower" drops calls etc, since i don't have another 3g device to compare.

are we mac fans too sensitive or is this real? we will see what happens, and i feel SJ will make it good, so for me, my iPhone rocks (still want voice dialing--have you read my thread about how neat garmin nuvi 360 handles the iPhone call lists???)

my wife FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER loves her phone, she says that over and over. so hey, i'm 95% content with the iPhone ( need voice dialing, turn by turn gps, and better simpler power management ability--that will get me to 99% allowing a bit for upgrades)

i'm happy