Firewire speed low copying from FW400 to FW800 device via iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a LaCie d2 Quadra via FW800 connected to my iMac (Alu, 2 GHz, 4GB RAM) and a LaCie FW400 drive connected to my iMac.

When I copy a file from the FW400 drive to the Quadra, the writing speed doesn't exceed 9 MB/s (MegaByte).

Even USB is faster, and when the FW400 device was connected to my old iBook G4 via Firewire I had speeds up to 30 MB/S.

Does anyone know, what could cause this problem?

PS: I connected the FW400 drive directly to the FW800 drive, what shall I say, it's even slower. 7-8 MB/S is the maximum speed.

I have several external disks (5-6), one FW800, 2 FW400 (either connected directly with the Mac or the FW800 drive) and two USB 2.0 drives connected with a hub. Could this be a problem, having that many drives? I mean Firewire was build to consist of up to 63 devices in a chain.... I'm speechless.

Finally, I narrowed it down: It's the LaCie d2 Quadra, it can read with 50 MB/s, copying everything just fine to another drive, but duplicating on the d2 is horrible with 6 MB/s, so I think it is the writing mechanism on the d2.

Is there a separate write head on an HDD?