Some songs sound weird through AirTunes speakers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

After struggling a while I finally managed to connect my Airport Express to my Airport Extreme network and use the Express to stream iTunes to my stereo. However there are a couple of problems which I hope the technically minded and iTunes experts might be able to solve for me:

1. I get a loud humming from the speakers when I connect the jack to the Airport Express. Nothing need be playing, just being connected brings out the continuous hum. The hum stops when i pull the jack out of the Airport Express. However, if I happen to touch the jack with my hand or finger, the hum is back.

I am sure this has something to do with my cable or grounding or whatever, but I am not technical at all, so please instruct me as though instructing the village idiot.

2. The second issue is more worrying. Some songs sound good, some songs sound as though the mixing was done very badly - I hear the instruments, but the vocal track sounds as though coming from out of a deep well, very faint etc. This happens only when played through AirTunes. When I change the output to my laptop speakers, all songs sound good.

I thought it might have to do with equaliser settings for individual songs, but none of my music has equaliser presets applied to it. Plus, I always leave the equaliser in the "off" mode.

Any ideas?

Cheers