Chicken and egg - enterprise.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love Apple products and I love OSX, why? Because I run my own business and when I install a Mac I cease to be IT manager, I just run my business. So what is the problem?

The problem is I own a distribution business and Macs have worked so well for me because my order processing system is a Unix system and so I just use a terminal emulator (data comet secure) and away I go, but it is ageing. What precisely are my Mac compatible options.... just about none.

I need a sales order processing system, with an integral full nominal accounting system built in. The system must be able to integrate with a credit card processor run full inventory control and have an integrated web-store solution. So what are my options... none. They just do not exist in the Mac domain. If you are in the US then Netsuite is an option but the latency for those of us in England renders it useless for telesales.

If I swap to PC's then there are any number of options, but for Macs it just doesn't seem to exist. So where am I going with this thread?

There is one system I have seen and it looks brilliant. I has inventory control, POS, credit card integration, e-store runs natively on a Mac etc etc It is written by a major well known software house, it is localised in many countries. The company that has written it sells many other professional software packages... If you haven't guessed by now I am talking about the software that drives the Apple stores and web site.

Apple have the most fantastic suite of programmes and the number one application missing from the Apple platform has to be enterprise/ERP software and yet Apple has the answer and keeps it to themselves. Why is this so? To me to offer such a fantastic solution would open a huge number of doors, business are craving to get rid of the scourge of software viruses and yet are being driven towards PC's in every war.

In the UK the major accounting software company (Sage) is PC only. If you use any couriers such as UPS, City Link, Fed EX or Business Post their software is PC only. It drives me mad. we need someone like Apple to put this package on the market or do something to drive Macs into business.

If you thick this is drivel, please enlighten me, because I am ready to replace my companies software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    I may be mistaken, but I remember reading recently somewhere that Apple uses SAP to run their iTunes store. The glitz etc. is just the front-end.

Cheers