Wireless router buying advice?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have recently moved to a new apartment and the wireless router I used was my roomates. I have always had good luck with Linksys routers, so I am thinking about staying with them, but I just don't understand the differences between the ones they're offering. I definitely want a .n router, all of my devices have .n cards, besides my 360. I am living by myself now in a one bedroom apartment. I play my 360 pretty frequently, and I am constantly downloading promo material which can be gigs in size. I need something realizable, anyone have any luck with certain models?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I didn't even read your post. I have one, wouldn't go past it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I have recently moved to a new apartment and the wireless router I used was my roomates. I have always had good luck with Linksys routers, so I am thinking about staying with them, but I just don't understand the differences between the ones they're offering. I definitely want a .n router, all of my devices have .n cards, besides my 360. I am living by myself now in a one bedroom apartment. I play my 360 pretty frequently, and I am constantly downloading promo material which can be gigs in size. I need something realizable, anyone have any luck with certain models?

To be quite frank, I wouldn't recommend anything but an Apple router. None of the other brands are built to last these days. Apple, however, doesn't have a business that's primarily interested in having you buy new network equipment periodically, nor are they in the middle of hyper-competitive price wars. I've used consumer grade stuff from all the big brands: Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc, but the only ones that last are Apple-made. Commercial grade is certainly more durable, but it's also much more costly. The Apple Airport is a great middle ground, and it has some nice features as well. FWIW, the stereo hookup is pretty damn cool.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ...what is the stereo hookup? ...is the Airport Extreme really worth the money compared to the others though?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If you can get the wireless-G adaptor the 360, you might be a prime candidate for the Airport express.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I didn't even read your post.

Well, that makes you seem intelligent and well-informed...

I have Belkin, my brother has a Linksys, and neither of us have any better or worse an experience than the people we know with the significantly more expensive Airport models. Unless you have a large enough house that you need the wireless cascade features unique to Airport products, save yourself the money and go non-Apple.

The only one I can really think of that might be worth it is the Time Capsule, but the onboard storage is potentially negated by a variety of HDDs with ethernet connections and network backup capacity. Never tried it, personally; I just have a pair of USB HDDs that I plug into my computers to run Time Machine.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Well, that makes you seem intelligent and well-informed..

I read the title, but had to leave the house so I tried my best to help.

Like if someone had a post titled; Fairway Wood buying advice? I'd simply reply: Titleist

Oh, and after now reading his post, I'd still have made the same recommendation. Simple to set up, reliable, exceptional signal, and the software is auto-updatable.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

...what is the stereo hookup? ...is the Airport Extreme really worth the money compared to the others though?

The express is $100, but it is bulit to last and it commands a good resale value. I have bought 7 or 8 wireless routers in the past 18 months, eventually settling on the Airport Express. I had a Netgear and a Linksys that ran for 5 months each, but the rest died within weeks and/or had quality control problem representative of their corner-cutting chinese manufacturing. At the end of the day, I spent a lot of extra time and money because I didn't think it was worth buying a higher-priced apple product.

As evidence, ask for the store warranty when you buy. Typically, the cashier will try to sell you on it no matter what. These routers, however, are a different story. Usually only the Apple routers qualify for the store warranty. That should about sum it up.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The express is $100, but it is bulit to last and it commands a good resale value. I have bought 7 or 8 wireless routers in the past 18 months, eventually settling on the Airport Express. I had a Netgear and a Linksys that ran for 5 months each, but the rest died within weeks and/or had quality control problem representative of their corner-cutting chinese manufacturing. At the end of the day, I spent a lot of extra time and money because I didn't think it was worth buying a higher-priced apple product.

As evidence, ask for the store warranty when you buy. Typically, the cashier will try to sell you on it no matter what. These routers, however, are a different story. Usually only the Apple routers qualify for the store warranty. That should about sum it up.

I concur
  • Reply 9 of 9
    thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the Airport Extreme, hopefully it holds up for the money...