I just removed Data from my iPhone 3G Plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I just called an AT&T rep and asked is she can remove my wife's data plan as she does not use it. She said "Sure." and did it. She said my wife's won't incur any accidental internet charges as the cell data simply will not work. She won't be able to get online, period, except for WiFi. Sweet! I then called another rep and told him "my friend" cancelled his data plan and he said you can't do that. We talked for a minute or two about how awful this is and then he said, "well, you can remove it but next time you take a software update from Apple, it will stop working." I said, "oooh that's a bit harsh" and he said, "no worries, your friend can just call us if that happens and we will re-instate his data plan and activate his phone.

So there you have it folks. Perhaps legally they have to have a way for customers to opt out of it but their agreement with Apple is what is making it mandatory NOT their agreement with the customer. Let me know what you think. Please, no ugly posts...... I am trying for the greater good here. Not meaning to be a moron.

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    c6fanc6fan Posts: 12member
    Try calling Apple and discussing the issue with them. AT&T just loves to blame Apple foe all their policies.

Before the IPhone 3G came out we verified upgrade eligibility for both my wife and myself via the internet and the AT&T store. When we got to the store they said that we wee not eligible until a later date. When we complained to AT&T management, they called us liars and said that nothing had been changed in their system and that no exceptions could be made and it was Apple's doing. Apple had a much different story. I tend to believe Apple.

Also, according to AT&T store employees, the reason you can walk into an Apple store and buy a phone and have to order one from AT&T is that AT&T doesn't want to pay commission and/or store sales volume bonuses. Apple store employees apparently do not receive commission.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I just called an AT&T rep and asked is she can remove my wife's data plan as she does not use it. She said "Sure." and did it. She said my wife's won't incur any accidental internet charges as the cell data simply will not work. She won't be able to get online, period, except for WiFi. Sweet! I then called another rep and told him "my friend" cancelled his data plan and he said you can't do that. We talked for a minute or two about how awful this is and then he said, "well, you can remove it but next time you take a software update from Apple, it will stop working." I said, "oooh that's a bit harsh" and he said, "no worries, your friend can just call us if that happens and we will re-instate his data plan and activate his phone.

So there you have it folks. Perhaps legally they have to have a way for customers to opt out of it but their agreement with Apple is what is making it mandatory NOT their agreement with the customer. Let me know what you think. Please, no ugly posts...... I am trying for the greater good here. Not meaning to be a moron.

Cheers!

AT&T support is so messed up right now that I doubt the company will know for several quarters whether or not they are truly profiting from their Apple arrangement. For the sake of discussion, I have a "friend". That "friend's" Verizon phone died just 3 short weeks away from the 3G launch. They went to an AT&T store, and ported over to an AT&T phone that offered a rebate, so outside of the $36 activation fee and 2 year contract, the phone was "free". When July 11 rolled around, my "friend" walked into an Apple store and ported their number over to an new iPhone 3G. Again, they were only charged the $36 activation fee and the contract was extended to cover the initial 3 weeks. Last week my "friend" received their rebate card in the mail.

Now according to several posters here, and most people my friend has spoken to at AT&T, most of what transpired should have never happened. Go figure