Question on Airport Express

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking into buying a wireless router, I have a macbook pro and wanted to ask how the Airport express is. Is it a good router? Ill be living in a 2 bedroom apartment so the range I'm assuming should be good.

Can I connect a printer or my external hdd to it? Essentially if its worth the buy, thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's pretty good. The Airport Extreme has .11n, I think, but I seem to remember that the n mode only works with macs (relatively recent macs at that). The Express is not bad. I know for a fact that it can serve to USB printers, but I don't know about HDs.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Printer yes, HDD no. Of the 802.11N routers the express is one of the slowest...which is no surprise given the form factor.

I don't recall how it does range wise but works in a suite. The nice part is that it's a reasonable travel router when all the hotel has is wired ethernet. Works fine with windows.

WDS works with other apple routers. Iffy with other brands. However, when it works it also acts as a bridge. Would I buy it? Only if I wanted a travel router or the iTunes functionality. Time Capsule and Extreme are better routers for normal use.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

I'm looking into buying a wireless router, I have a macbook pro and wanted to ask how the Airport express is. Is it a good router? Ill be living in a 2 bedroom apartment so the range I'm assuming should be good.

Can I connect a printer or my external hdd to it? Essentially if its worth the buy, thanks

I used an Express exclusively until May, when I bought a Time Capsule. It always worked well for me, on an iBook and then a MacBook Pro. I printed wirelessly to an Epson printer, too.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I have been running 4 Airport Expresses at my acreage all connected to a stereo for iTunes and it works flawlessly. Used to have a problem with the music "skipping" (due to interference?) but since the latest firmware upgrade no problems to speak of. WDS works great.