Time Machine: Include instead of Exclude, is it possible?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello.

Is there a way of reversing the way Time Machine lets you select the items you wanna back up?

I mean the Excluding thingy is nice, but with 6 external drives and 10 partitions it's quite messy to exclude all the unwanted stuff, especially if it is spread out in bits an pieces.

For example, I have a drive full of my photos with their Libraries and edited pictures. But I just want to archive the original images, nothing more. And there is another drive with video files (DV, HDV), but I just want to save the project data, so in case of losing media files (200GB), I can just recapture them. And so on. So excluding is really quite a pain in the asymmetric photons.

So, is there a way of selecting the items you wanna save, instead of selecting the items you don't wanna back up?

That way, problems with backing up seem to be much better found.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Time Machine is meant to be really simplistic and mostly plug & play, so it doesn't have any functionality like what you're describing. I'm sure in future OS X releases they'll give it some more features but you might be better off looking for a third-party app in the meantime.