Wanting A Mac for gaming

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all

I am looking to buy a macbook. I would like to ask you fine people if this laptop wold be good for playing older games like tiger woods pga tour 2004,05 07, and first person shooters like ghost recon? And which mac OS should I be looking for leapord, tiger or should it be xp?

PS I am the new guy!

Thank you all,

Evolution\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Get a MacBook Pro, you can install any OS on that.

Though wait a month. New ones are very likely coming in September (new, better keyboards, larger trackpads, magnetic latches and nicer shape) though there's no guarantee - but it's likely, could be even Sep 9th as the rumor goes.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It's a pretty safe assumption that the Macbook with its integrated graphics is not enough for gaming. Neither is the mini. (Not enough for WoW, anyway, which is four years old now and had low requirements even when it came out.) This is a weak point of the Apple lineup, you simply can't get any graphics performance without paying through the nose.

All Macs come with Leopard. Tiger is in the past. For gaming, you'll also want to install Windows through Boot Camp, so you can do all your gaming in Windows and the rest in OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

It's a pretty safe assumption that the Macbook with its integrated graphics is not enough for gaming.

For more recent games you just forget it. Older ones have some chance though, it depends on the game and settings.

Barefeats has some Macbook benchmarks: low quality gaming and high quality gaming.

Also, keep in mind that the Macbook is not a desktop, so it is going to heat up much while gaming, which means fan at full blast and of course noise. There are though some games that do not stress that much the system and the noise is near to zero. The one I have in mind is Pac the Man. It has stunning graphics, so in my previous Powerbook 12" it was very noisy (very demanding for such a system), but in a Macbook it is very fluid and you can barely hear the fan.