New HP Printer on 10.3?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My father's iBook is running 10.3. His trusty epson printer broke and I was trying to recommend a replacement. All the HPs list 10.5 as a requirement. Will they actually work on 10.3 without issues?

He doesn't like changes so there is no way I can recommend an OS upgrade just to replace the printer.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If memory serves, the printing system in MacOS X received a substantial upgrade in MacOS X 10.4. Many MacOS X 10.3 drivers no longer worked under the newer OS. You can rest assured that the newer drivers will not work with the older OS. MacOS X 10.3 was put out to pasture in 2004--four years ago. In computer-years, that was something like 30 years ago. If you want to use a new printer with your effectively 30-year-old OS, the you are going to have to be very intelligent when shopping for a printer. Your best bet is to find a MacOS X 10.3-compatible model still in stock.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well he's almost 80 and doesn't even tolerate the icons on the screen moving a few pixels. If I lived nearby I might chance an upgrade but he's at least 2 hrs away from an Apple store. May have to experiment with sharing my moms older pc printer over the network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

If memory serves, the printing system in MacOS X received a substantial upgrade in MacOS X 10.4. Many MacOS X 10.3 drivers no longer worked under the newer OS. You can rest assured that the newer drivers will not work with the older OS. MacOS X 10.3 was put out to pasture in 2004--four years ago. In computer-years, that was something like 30 years ago. If you want to use a new printer with your effectively 30-year-old OS, the you are going to have to be very intelligent when shopping for a printer. Your best bet is to find a MacOS X 10.3-compatible model still in stock.

• Reply 3 of 6
    There are substantial differences between MacOS X 10.3 and MacOS X 10.4 under the skin. To the user, however, MacOS X 10.4 appears to be a feature upgrade for MacOS X 10.3. Upgrading to MacOS X 10.4 will not freak-out your father.

If you are considering sharing a printer with a Windows computer, then I would urge you to reconsider. Printing to a Windows computer means that your father will be tethered to that computer. Instead of having to deal with one new OS, he will have to deal with two.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Well um its partially a practical matter. The nearest upgrade help is 2 hours away and I am much further away. Small town America is not brimming with Apple expertise.

Not sure I understand the comment about windows. He would be using my mother's printer in the next room. Its just another printer on the Mac printer list. The upside is that they are on a retirement income and two sets of print cartridges/printers has to be somewhat more expensive to maintain than a singe printer.

Now if I can just get it to work smoothly. The connection is working but the driver is buggering the printer.

Quote:

There are substantial differences between MacOS X 10.3 and MacOS X 10.4 under the skin. To the user, however, MacOS X 10.4 appears to be a feature upgrade for MacOS X 10.3. Upgrading to MacOS X 10.4 will not freak-out your father.

If you are considering sharing a printer with a Windows computer, then I would urge you to reconsider. Printing to a Windows computer means that your father will be tethered to that computer. Instead of having to deal with one new OS, he will have to deal with two.

• Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnelle View Post

Well um its partially a practical matter. The nearest upgrade help is 2 hours away and I am much further away. Small town America is not brimming with Apple expertise.

Not sure I understand the comment about windows. He would be using my mother's printer in the next room. ...

Now if I can just get it to work smoothly. The connection is working but the driver is buggering the printer.

Having an Apple Store next door is not necessary.

What you don't seem to get is that sharing a printer with a Windows computer is not a transparent technology. First off, you need to have the Windows computer running whenever your father prints from his Mac to the shared printer. By your own admission, you cannot get it to work, but you don't put things together. If you can't do it, then there is no hope for your father.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I see. Well it actually is working in the sense that the print job gets in the queue but because of the limited print drivers for lpr support in 10.3 the print jobs jam the printer. I will get something working.

I have been dealing with network printer(s) for many years so I am fully aware of the limitations.

I also understand that the needs of a 79 year old guy who uses the printer to read the email from his sons is a little different than yours and mine.

Quote:

Having an Apple Store next door is not necessary.

What you don't seem to get is that sharing a printer with a Windows computer is not a transparent technology. First off, you need to have the Windows computer running whenever your father prints from his Mac to the shared printer. By your own admission, you cannot get it to work, but you don't put things together. If you can't do it, then there is no hope for your father.