It's the aluminium, stupid

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Well, sorry to have to paraphrase a quote from Bill Clinton's election campaign, but apparently a staffer wasn't sure what the key focus for the second term was going to be; hence we got: "it's the economy, stupid...".

My point about aluminum (or aluminium if you're reading this in the UK) iPhones, is that this was my very first thought when pondering whether to ditch the Nokia (which I have always preferred) and get an iPhone. There was the black plastic iPhone and now we get the white iPhone, which sort of mirrors the MacBook range; the marketing guys at Apple have got to have aluminum on the cards.

As other threads have debated it could of course lead to a two-tier iPhone raneg (as per the MacBooks), so we'd get the iPhone Pro or similar, which of course would carry a premium.

But, in the 1st iPhone we had ground-breaking technology and now with the new iPhone they have done it again; so anyone suggesting that we'd get a two-tier product range (a) shouldn't worry when the "entry" level phone is so good and (b) what else could Apple add in order to justify a premium price? OK, a 32MB iPhone, an iPhone that makes a fantastic espresso....

As Nokia has introduced stainless steel (in my case) phones at no premium price then I don't see why Apple hasn't got the aluminum as the next phase in the product's developement.

What I want to know: do I wait a while or do I buy now?

Any inside information would be much appreciated.