Apple Store purchase question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was at the Apple Store talking with one of the sales reps about purchasing a Macbook Pro. He told me that if I had a friend who was a student, to bring him/her in to the store and I could get the student discount for the computer ($200 off, $120 off AppleCare, free Ipod Touch). He said that they were "pretty lax" about these kind of discounts there.

Can anyone confirm this or not? I would love to get the price break (it would cover a lot of the software I need to buy), but I'm not going to drag my friend down there to help me if this is a bunch of bull in reality.

Also, if it is true, how does it work? Does my friend have to buy everything? I want my name on it for everything, especially the warranty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbarthle17 View Post

I was at the Apple Store talking with one of the sales reps about purchasing a Macbook Pro. He told me that if I had a friend who was a student, to bring him/her in to the store and I could get the student discount for the computer ($200 off, $120 off AppleCare, free Ipod Touch). He said that they were "pretty lax" about these kind of discounts there.

Can anyone confirm this or not? I would love to get the price break (it would cover a lot of the software I need to buy), but I'm not going to drag my friend down there to help me if this is a bunch of bull in reality.

Also, if it is true, how does it work? Does my friend have to buy everything? I want my name on it for everything, especially the warranty.

Yes, Apple has an education discount, and yes, they are somewhat liberal about it. Some Apple Store locations are going to be more liberal than others, it's the nature of the beast. However, Adobe is not at all liberal about it's education discounts, and they will insist on proof before they will allow their software to be activated. So, unless you can prove your eligibility to Adobe, don't buy their education version software, then install it, because you will not be able to activate it., and once opened, you cannot return it. Other education version software from other manufacturers do not require this proof, but Adobe does.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Yes, Apple has an education discount, and yes, they are somewhat liberal about it. Some Apple Store locations are going to be more liberal than others, it's the nature of the beast. However, Adobe is not at all liberal about it's education discounts, and they will insist on proof before they will allow their software to be activated. So, unless you can prove your eligibility to Adobe, don't buy their education version software, then install it, because you will not be able to activate it., and once opened, you cannot return it. Other education version software from other manufacturers do not require this proof, but Adobe does.

Thanks for the confirmation. No worries on the software, I have that covered, Adobe included. These suckers ain't cheap, and every little discount helps.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbarthle17 View Post

Thanks for the confirmation. No worries on the software, I have that covered, Adobe included. These suckers ain't cheap, and every little discount helps.

If you plan to register any Adobe software in any name other than your own, you are asking for trouble, sooner or later. Adobe will ask for proof in the form of a student ID, and/or a copy of the school issued class schedule. They aren't fools.