buy macbook now?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
soo I've been waiting for the new macbooks forever now. However it's taking forever and I'd also like to get that free ipod touch. So I was curious would I be able to buy a macbook on the last day of that promotion, get the ipod touch and then once the new macbooks come out (which is supposed to be a week later) return the macbook (unopened) and then purchase the new macbook? seems like this would have been thought of by many people but I figured I'd ask anyways. thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post

soo I've been waiting for the new macbooks forever now. However it's taking forever and I'd also like to get that free ipod touch. So I was curious would I be able to buy a macbook on the last day of that promotion, get the ipod touch and then once the new macbooks come out (which is supposed to be a week later) return the macbook (unopened) and then purchase the new macbook? seems like this would have been thought of by many people but I figured I'd ask anyways. thanks

IOW, you want to cheat, and you're asking us if it's okay. If I was Apple, I'd say "Sure, just as soon as you return the iPod rebate that you think you sneaked by us".
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

IOW, you want to cheat, and you're asking us if it's okay. If I was Apple, I'd say "Sure, just as soon as you return the iPod rebate that you think you sneaked by us".

I'm not asking if you think its ok, I'm asking if it would work based on apple's return policies. I do not think its "cheating" it's using the system to ones advantage. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post

I'm not asking if you think its ok, I'm asking if it would work based on apple's return policies. I do not think its "cheating" it's using the system to ones advantage. Nothing wrong with that.

Apple isn't stupid, apparently you think they are. You came in here with a scam, and one that is easily seen through. The iPod offer is NOT for machines purchased after the offer ends. If you don't think that changing a transaction to suit yourself is cheating, you need to look up the meaning of self serving. BTW, a scam is any plan like you proposed to get around the rules that the rest of us follow. The legal name for that is fraud.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Most often those offers list the SKU (or whatever they are called) that qualify for the special price.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Zinfella:

I think you would fall into the type of person who would very frankly and in "all-seriousness" say: "Apple is nice enough to give us a free iPod when we purchase their product, and this guy is trying to cheat the poor little company-that-would out of their money."

The original poster's question was whether or not he/she can do this, not whether it is legal and/or considered fraud or a scam. If you do want to go down the path of discussing this, then here we go:

1) x amount of money is spent by customer "A" on a qualifying Mac and iPod before the special mail-in rebate ends.

2) This would mean that customer "A' spent the required amount of money to qualify for the iPod sweepstakes.

3) Customer "A" would then proceed - following the rules - to send in his/her mail-in rebate for the iPod purchased with the Mac.

4) Customer "A" receives this mail-in rebate check.

5) Less than 15 days after the Mac is purchased by customer "A", Apple releases new hardware. It just so happens that the new hardware released by Apple - which can possibly be leaps and bounds better and more attractive from all points of view - falls in the same model line as the Mac purchased by customer "A".

6) What should customer "A" do now? Shut his/her mouth and live with an out-dated product just because Apple took their sweet time releasing a product to market? No, the customer has a full right - abiding by Apple's return policies - to return the purchased Mac.

In the end, the consumer is placed in a position of paying less for out-dated hardware on the Mac side and more of the same on the iPod side because Apple wants to clear out inventory for new products. And what is the reason behind all of this? The reason is that Apple decides to be a super-duper-quadruple secretive company (as by Lord Jobs) and never, ever, tell customers when to expect new products - products that often cost quite a bit of money.

Do you see now, dear Zinfella, how many spin angles we can put on this? Sure, you can look at it from a scam perspective all you want, but by not being straight forward with costumers about a time frame of when to expect to products (read: Macs), it seems that Apple is being the sneaky one.

Scam on that! ™

No, I don't really have that trade-marked
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Zinfella:

I think you would fall into the type of person who would very frankly and in "all-seriousness" say: "Apple is nice enough to give us a free iPod when we purchase their product, and this guy is trying to cheat the poor little company-that-would out of their money."

The original poster's question was whether or not he/she can do this, not whether it is legal and/or considered fraud or a scam. If you do want to go down the path of discussing this, then here we go:

1) x amount of money is spent by customer "A" on a qualifying Mac and iPod before the special mail-in rebate ends.

2) This would mean that customer "A' spent the required amount of money to qualify for the iPod sweepstakes.

3) Customer "A" would then proceed - following the rules - to send in his/her mail-in rebate for the iPod purchased with the Mac.

4) Customer "A" receives this mail-in rebate check.

5) Less than 15 days after the Mac is purchased by customer "A", Apple releases new hardware. It just so happens that the new hardware released by Apple - which can possibly be leaps and bounds better and more attractive from all points of view - falls in the same model line as the Mac purchased by customer "A".

6) What should customer "A" do now? Shut his/her mouth and live with an out-dated product just because Apple took their sweet time releasing a product to market? No, the customer has a full right - abiding by Apple's return policies - to return the purchased Mac.

In the end, the consumer is placed in a position of paying less for out-dated hardware on the Mac side and more of the same on the iPod side because Apple wants to clear out inventory for new products. And what is the reason behind all of this? The reason is that Apple decides to be a super-duper-quadruple secretive company (as by Lord Jobs) and never, ever, tell customers when to expect new products - products that often cost quite a bit of money.

Do you see now, dear Zinfella, how many spin angles we can put on this? Sure, you can look at it from a scam perspective all you want, but by not being straight forward with costumers about a time frame of when to expect to products (read: Macs), it seems that Apple is being the sneaky one.

Scam on that! ?

No, I don't really have that trade-marked

What part of the fact that he is setting out to get around the rules that govern the rest of us don't you understand? This isn't some silly hypothetical, he's asking for assistance to scam Apple. Spin that !
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

What part of the fact that he is setting out to get around the rules that govern the rest of us don't you understand? This isn't some silly hypothetical, he's asking for assistance to scam Apple. Spin that !

"govern the rest of us?" Wow, you must really love "rules"!

Here's the issue: Apple is selling outdated hardware that nobody wants to actually buy to use! This is the problem that mcl116 is facing, not one of scam or fraud (you seem to love these words).

And if you're such a big fan of "rules", I expect you to

1) always drive the speed limit,

2) Listen to mommy

3) And take that $200 iPhone 1G price drop by Apple like it's a birthday present.

Scam on that! ?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

"govern the rest of us?" Wow, you must really love "rules"!

Here's the issue: Apple is selling outdated hardware that nobody wants to actually buy to use! This is the problem that mcl116 is facing, not one of scam or fraud (you seem to love these words).

And if you're such a big fan of "rules", I expect you to

1) always drive the speed limit,

2) Listen to mommy

3) And take that $200 iPhone 1G price drop by Apple like it's a birthday present.

Scam on that! ?

Obviously you do not advocate ethics, I do. This will conclude our conversation, or at least my participation in it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Obviously you do not advocate ethics, I do. This will conclude our conversation, or at least my participation in it.

Even though I risk the possibility of you not reading this conversation again, I will respond anyway: ethics has nothing to do with the case at hand, and neither does my support or lack there-of for the matter. What is going on here is simple: the original poster (mcl116) asked whether or not this is possible to do. It seems like it is. Period. I haven't read the EULA or the terms of Apple's sweepstakes, so I don't know if it flies by their written standards.

Whether or not this is ethical is a different matter entirely. Is it ethical of Apple to:

- cut $200 off the price of a product and then, only after massive dissatisfaction, refund only half of this amount? (iPhone 1st generation launch)

- offer a business-class product, have businesses purchase this thousand+ dollar product, and make future purchasing and IT infrastructure decisions based on this product, and wake up one day to find that this product is no longer offered by Apple? No announcements were made prior to this change in Apple's roadmap, where they should have been, as this is a server-class product made for large organizations. (Xserve RAID)

These are just two of the many examples I can bring up about ethics and how Apple defies it. Since Apple can use the "system" to their advantage, so can mcl116, as he points out here:

Quote: