Typically how long after release will any new notebooks be shipping

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi I'm new here but have been reading things for a while.

I am looking to get a mbp and have to have it before the 3rd of October as that is when I start University. I have heard the rumours that new mbp's may be around the corner, and think I can wait until the last week or so of September to order one. My question is as follows: Once Apple has announced a new mbp how long is it likely to be until they ship them in the UK? If it is not immediatelly available, will the old models still be available from the UK online Apple Store?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gavf View Post

Hi I'm new here but have been reading things for a while.

I am looking to get a mbp and have to have it before the 3rd of October as that is when I start University. I have heard the rumours that new mbp's may be around the corner, and think I can wait until the last week or so of September to order one. My question is as follows: Once Apple has announced a new mbp how long is it likely to be until they ship them in the UK? If it is not immediatelly available, will the old models still be available from the UK online Apple Store?

Though there is no way to know for sure, it may depend on how much is changed. The last 2 updates (in June 2007 and February of 2008) were "available immediately" but were basically speed bumps to the existing design. The first Intel MacBook Pro was announced January 2006 with shipments to start in February but real availability took as much as 6 weeks or more depending on where you were. The next 2 updates (April 2006 and October 2006) were announced with shipments to begin in 1 week. IIRC, there were dry spells encountered with these first 3 Intel MacBook Pros where the new one wasn't shipping yet and the old one wasn't available leaving people waiting weeks to get their systems. If nothing is announced tomorrow (as seems likely), I'd keep a close watch on availability especially as my deadline got closer so I don't find myself unable to purchase an older model but the new one still days or weeks from shipping leaving me in the position of having nothing well beyond my "gotta have it now!" date.