Mac OS 10.5.4 Network hiccup - can't see other networked Macs in Sidebar anymore

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello.

I have three Macs in my household, which are connected via Airport established by the iMac (C2D).

Recently I could connect to my iBook or iMac via my MacBook just by clicking in the Finder's sidebar on the appropriate computer. Or vice versa (iMac to MacBook and iBook, or iBook to iMac and Macbook). The only problem was that sometimes I was asked again for the user and password, albeit I clicked the saving in Keychain option.

Now, after no apparent change in my setup, my MacBook and my iMac can't see each other in the sidebar, only if I go with Computer > Network > MacBook or iMac, but that doesn't give me the option to give username and password.

Going via Cmd + K I can only mount the Shared/Public folder, the other ones are greyed out.

But the iBook can still see both computers in the sidebar, but it was sleeping for three weeks.

Does anyone know of a hint or solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Hello.

I have three Macs in my household, which are connected via Airport established by the iMac (C2D).

Recently I could connect to my iBook or iMac via my MacBook just by clicking in the Finder's sidebar on the appropriate computer. Or vice versa (iMac to MacBook and iBook, or iBook to iMac and Macbook). The only problem was that sometimes I was asked again for the user and password, albeit I clicked the saving in Keychain option.

Now, after no apparent change in my setup, my MacBook and my iMac can't see each other in the sidebar, only if I go with Computer > Network > MacBook or iMac, but that doesn't give me the option to give username and password.

Going via Cmd + K I can only mount the Shared/Public folder, the other ones are greyed out.

But the iBook can still see both computers in the sidebar, but it was sleeping for three weeks.

Does anyone know of a hint or solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

Something, whether you know it or can conceive of it has changed on your network.