How Likely is a 64GB Touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been saving up for a new iPod and I was wondering how likely it would be for Apple to release a 64GB Touch on September 9. Also, once the new iPods are announced, how long will it take for them to show up at other locations (e.g. Best Buy)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Dude, a new thread for these questions, when there are already active threads concerning the Sept. 9th event…?!?

Really…?!?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brilliantname View Post

I've been saving up for a new iPod and I was wondering how likely it would be for Apple to release a 64GB Touch on September 9. Also, once the new iPods are announced, how long will it take for them to show up at other locations (e.g. Best Buy)?

Well that is hard to say if you are not employed by Apple. Given that I'd say the chances are very strong. 64GB would sit at the high end so I suspect that it would have many unanounced features too.

In any event it is about 4 days now.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

I'd say there's a decent chance, but look. It's only four days. Four and a half days. Just wait until the 9th and find out like the rest of us.

And I think it usually takes a few days to a week for new iPods to filter down to all the non-Apple retailers. You ought to be able to buy them at an Apple store or apple.com right after the event, unless it's some sort of pre-announcement.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

How likely is it that your penis will grow 3 inches by buying a pill?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The 32GB flash memory modules are still a bit pricey, so if Apple was to put two of them in an iPod Touch (or one in an iPhone) it would likely add a couple hundred or more dollars to the price and that might hurt sales...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    64GB is highly unlikely.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

64GB is highly unlikely.

More-so now that it seems both the iPhone and touch are using single flash chips.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

More-so now that it seems both the iPhone and touch are using single flash chips.

You know when I saw the tear down photos I couldn't believe it, as it is the opposite of what I would think they would want to do. It really makes me wonder what the hell Apples marketing people do for a living. Especially considering that we now have this huge capacity gap between the Touch and the Classic.

There is one consideration here and that is multichip packaging. If they were to source a package with stacked flash chips they might be able to get to 64GB but it won't be cheap. Of course there are issues there such as the current chip coming from Micron, I'm not sure they have chip stacking tech like Samsung does. Of course if the interface is standardized then there is little concern.

In any event I'm shocked that Apple would have gone this route as it removes a lot of flexibility as far as deploying various sizes (GB capacity) of Touch iPods. One good thing is that the logic board is much smaller which makes me wonder if the main processor is one of the PA Semi designs we where suppose to see in the iPods. I also have to wonder if they will ever get around to implementing that BluTooth hardware.

I guess the positive approach to this problem is to imagine that Apple has a new device in the wings awaiting final release that will resolve the issue of a high capacity Flash based iPod. Other wise the only thing I can say is stupid Apple, STUPID!

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 9
    While looking up the info on the Touch flash chips I noticed that Micron has a large line up of SSD in sampling. This is interesting for a number of Apple products from Air on up. Hopefully some of these samples are going to Apple as they appear to be speedy drives.

Actually I was looking for signs that Micron had higher capacity flash chips in the wings for Touch. Unfortunately I did not find any publicly available info on higher capacity chips. Which makes me wonder what Apple is using in the high capacity Touch.

Dave