Mac OS X 10.5.5 approaching as testing focus narrowed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why couldn't be embedded into systems that only use BR?

Apple releases system software versions specific to machines, why not with this as well?

Because it's a hardware requirement, not a software one. That's how firmly embedded the HDCP is - it demands hardware control and verification of the graphics channels. You can't do that with a software update. It has to be at the motherboard level, from CPU to memory to video bus.

It's like saying that you're going to offer an electric hybrid as an option to all car buyers... and only the people who buy the hybrid will get the electric motor, but everyone will get otherwise exactly the same vehicle. There's a ton of engineering that would have to go in to making a car that is drop-in hybrid ready. Claiming that only the people who purchase the electric motor would be paying for the overall engineering effort is silly, unless you charge those folks an ungodly amount.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I agree about the 5-year Blu-ray need.

I also think that CDs have a ways to go before they are all gone.

People do like to have the quality of a CD even on their iPods, even if it is in Apple Lossless.

There are still a lot of audio equipment and users who CAN tell the difference between a CD and even a 256 AAC from Apple.

We have a good 5 years before the quality of the downloads for video and audio can match what we've come to expect from physical media. The internet just cannot expand that quickly to make downloading completely pervasive. It is still in its infancy, even if the Apple Store and iTunes have been around for 6 or 7 years.

How long ago did Apple even move SOME of its music to 256??? Not long.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Good point. Downloaded HD faces two hurdles. The lack of really fast broadband service (like FIOS) in all parts of the country and bandwidth caps. Apple have no control or influence over this either.

I agree with Corey. BR will reign for at least 5 years.

You do realise that there are more countries in the world than just the US - just a small tip.

Whether they have/haven't control over it, when one has caps, allocations, speed reductions and so forth; its going to throw a spanner in the works.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Lets not forget that Isp's like Comcast are putting the smack down on your download's. If this move catches on your allocated bandwidth could be used up downloading 5-10 movies. Blueray may not be a "must have" for a mac but do not write off physical media just yet.

You'll have to download about a hundred 90 minute HD movies from Apple before you run afowl of Comcast's bandwidth limit. That is about three movies a day, every day, for the entire month.

So, no, I don't think that's a convincing reason to go for Blu-Ray. More convincing are arguments about higher quality or wanting special features. That, and you really can't buy HD movies from Apple, they are currently only rented, and only through AppleTV.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You'll have to download about a hundred 90 minute HD movies from Apple before you run afowl of Comcast's bandwidth limit. That is about three movies a day, every day, for the entire month.

At the current "SD blown up to 720p" bitrates that Apple is selling, yes. But some day when bandwidth speeds allow for 40mbps birate downloads instead of 4mbps — and include all of the expected extras you get with physical media — , then Comcast's bandwidth restrictions are only going to get you 5-10 movies like bigdaddyp said. And I'll bet you Comcast & other service providers will keep those restrictions in place even when speeds become much higher, because it'll be a new way to make money, much in the same way prices on consumables goes up when ingredient and shipping costs increase, but not back down when the manufacturer's cost decreases.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

We have a good 5 years before the quality of the downloads for video and audio can match what we've come to expect from physical media. The internet just cannot expand that quickly to make downloading completely pervasive. It is still in its infancy, even if the Apple Store and iTunes have been around for 6 or 7 years.

Right. I don't understand the argument that Apple shouldn't offer Blu-Ray for the next 5-10 years because the internet will be fast enough for streaming HD in 5-10 years. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't intend to spend the next 5-10 years not watching movies.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

At the current "SD blown up to 720p" bitrates that Apple is selling, yes.

I don't know what specific instances you're talking about, but the two sample episodes I've seen aren't upscaled SD. 40Mbps is a lot more than is really necessary to get good quality, there are several 8Mbps 1080p clips around that are quite nice.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know what specific instances you're talking about, but the two sample episodes I've seen aren't upscaled SD. 40Mbps is a lot more than is really necessary to get good quality, there are several 8Mbps 1080p clips around that are quite nice.

I'm just saying that at the bitrates Apple uses, their 720p content looks more like an upconverted DVD than it does high definition; it's about half as sharp looking as the same shows over broadcast cable, which is really saying something since everyone complains about the overly compressed signals the cable and satellite providers pump out.