Card reader problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a MacBook Pro, with Leopard. I have used a Duel Adapter to read my P2 card (video images) and transferred the files to my external drive. Now the reader stopped working. I went on the Apple site and saw that other users were having issues with other card readers. When I turn on my computer (with the card reader inserted), a little icon comes on the top (not on the desktop) and when I try to click it, nothing happens, it behaves as if it was clicked but no menus or actions take place. Any idea on how to "boot" the express card software? It's driving me nuts because it was working before. Thanks.

ASlater

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Did the P2 card show up as an external drive when it worked?

And what do you mean by turning on your computer (btw. which do you have)?

Booting or waking from sleep?

What icon does appear when? After the system is fully started (Desktop, Menu Bar and everything else is visible), or before (grey screen, Apple logo)?

What about the Panasonic web page? Don't they have a support (forum) for P2 users? Maybe you can find help there or on the card reader's manufacturer...

Or creativecow has some help to offer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Did the P2 card show up as an external drive when it worked?

Yes, on the desktop, under the HD icon. Note that the card reader showed as a separate drive, with the card inside, and I could eject it once I was done, then insert the other card and tranfer those files

Quote:

And what do you mean by turning on your computer (btw. which do you have)?

Booting or waking from sleep?

MacBook Pro running on Leopard. Turning on from sleep, since the Leopard doesn't recognize the card if it isn't turned on with it - like the scanners a long time ago.

Quote:

What icon does appear when? After the system is fully started (Desktop, Menu Bar and everything else is visible), or before (grey screen, Apple logo)?

The icon looks like a battery (?), kind of square with a cylindrical shape. It appears on the very top after everything is loaded as well.

Quote:

What about the Panasonic web page? Don't they have a support (forum) for P2 users? Maybe you can find help there or on the card reader's manufacturer...

The first forum I went to was the Apple forum, where other users were having problems with other cards, so I assumed the problem is with the Mac. However, after reading your post, I went on the Panasonic site and downloaded the software - again - but it still not read the card. I thought that would do it, but no cigar.

Quote:

Or creativecow has some help to offer.

Since all forums take a while to be properly explored, I'll check out the Panasonic (again) and Creative Cow forums. If they offer a solution, I'll post it here. Thank you so much for your input.

ASlater
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

And yes, the creative cow message board is quite strange getting used after getting to know boards with threads formatted like these.

What about returning phoning the card reader manufacturer and asking for help? Or giving the reader to service of the shop you bought it from and asking for a temporal replacement?

It may seem like a hardware issue, or missing firmware, but something the card reader manufacturer has to solve....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I downloaded the software for the P2 card again, installed and that did it. The site has several different downloads, so it's possible that the problem was BTCATK.

Thanks for all your input.

ASlater