OS X Development Tools?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

I heard that the OS X development tools do not come with new Macs but they do come with the retail version of the OS. If these utilities do not come with a new Mac can I download them from Apple? :confused:

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Yes. ACD membership is free, and the dev tools can be downloaded from the connect.apple.com site.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: Fluffy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    New Macs should have the installer for the Developer Tools. Try looking in the "Installers" folder of Applications, and there should be a listing for the Developer Tools installation package.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    <a href="https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/91/wo/o99GjvyBaAz82dB8jJD2gdnf3y1/1.5.5?59,12"; target="_blank">Click Me</a>

After you sign up, you can download the dev tools at connect.apple.com.(pretty big download though)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You might, *might* be able to go to an Apple store, sign up for ADC, download with their monster bandwidth, and have it burned to a CD-R. Can't hurt to ask. You bring the CD-R, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Moving to the Mac OS X Forum...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by StateWolf:

<strong>Hi all,

I heard that the OS X development tools do not come with new Macs but they do come with the retail version of the OS. If these utilities do not come with a new Mac can I download them from Apple? :confused:

Thanks a lot!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I use the devtools. Interface Builder and PowerBuilder are awesome. If you are doing new app development OS X only, I strongly reccomend that you write Cocoa versus Carbon apps. If you are not a C (or Obj C) programmer, you can use applescript and AS Studio in IB and PB. Again, my preference is also to stay away from RealBasic.

The hardest part, IMO, is learning the Cocoa APIs which are REALLY powerful, it is that there are many APIs and its a new OO paradigm (which I like but it streches one's mind a bit).

Best. These Cocoa tools are Aquafied NEXTSTEP dev tools which is what NeXT was renowed for.